Job: Library Assistant - FT - Shannon Staub Library
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Assistant - FT - Shannon Staub Library
- Number position available:
- $11.75 - $14.55
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Library Assistant - Shannon Staub Public Library (Full Time) (Official Job Title: Customer Service Representative I): This position provides customer service through contact and responses to county customers and citizens. As the direct point of contact for customers, the Library Assistant resolves routine questions or problems and refers more complex issues, In the team environment all employees participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees will collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists users in locating, selecting, and using resources.
- Assists users in use of library equipment and technology.
- Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users.
- Engages in conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures, and plan of service.
- Assists library users in person, by phone, or electronically, answering questions, and /or redirecting questions to the appropriate person. Is aware of library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- May participate in planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library and county events.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required.
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fines, fees, and Unique Management collections, including such duties as daily shift, drawer counts, and deposits as needed.
- Assists in sorting and processing mail, as needed.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Maintains and purchases supplies for the Fruitville Library.
- Produces monthly calendars & other public information materials.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- Sorts and shelves materials, and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists with ordering, and processing materials for circulation as needed.
- Performs item coordinator duties for materials in collection as needed.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the materials collection through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
- Works with library staff to develop a team oriented workplace.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one (1) year experience in clerical or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings.
Job Based Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to handle tough customers and/or situations. Good listener who communicates well with others. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Technical knowledge of phone and computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use basic computers and software and standard business equipment.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Shannon Staub Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 4675 Career Lane
- North Port
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources
- 1660 Ringling Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Susan Totter
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 941 861-5000
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online - scgov.net