Job: Library Collections Manager
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Collections Manager
- Number position available:
- $26.83 - $52.37 Hourly
- Job Category:
- Collection Management
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
This Library Manager position is assigned to the Library Processing Center and will have responsibility for overseeing system-wide collection services including collection development, collection management, electronic resources, acquisitions, and interlibrary loan services for the Lee County Library System. This position will supervise assigned supervisory staff in these areas. This position reports to the Technical Services Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers and oversees all aspects of system-wide collection development, collection management, acquisitions, electronic resources, and interlibrary loan activities for the library system in conjunction with supervisors and staff in the Collections areas.
- Oversees and supervises assigned supervisors and staff in collection development, acquisitions, electronic resources, and interlibrary loan areas.
- Working with the Technical Services Manager, Library Administration, and the Acquisitions Supervisor, oversees the materials budget and allocations for all collections and resources, both physical and electronic.
- Works with Public Services staff to ensure that needs of library customers and library staff is met in terms of Collections for the library system. Ensures positive customer service experience for both library customers and library staff. Helps to positively communicate information to Public Services staff pertaining to area of responsibility.
- Working with the Technical Services Manager, Library Administration, and the Acquisitions Coordinator, oversees the materials budget and allocations for all collections and resources, both physical and electronic.
- Oversees collection development activities through the work of two Principal Librarians and their staff, overseeing adult and youth services collection development for all formats, languages, and levels. Works in conjunction with staff at branches for selection and management of materials.
- Oversees collection management activities for the system-wide collection, both physical and virtual, including weeding, floating collections, collection inventory, and collection analysis. Gives guidance to branch staff in these areas.
- Oversees acquisitions activities through the work of the Acquisitions Coordinator and Acquisitions staff. Works with the Acquisitions Coordinator to allocate the materials budget to meet the needs of our library customers and utilizes data to help with budget forecasting and allocations to utilize the materials budget efficiently to meet demand.
- Oversees the interlibrary loan program for the library system through the activities of the Interlibrary Loan Coordinator. Correlates customer need and demand for materials in terms of interlibrary loan and/or purchase of requested materials, determining the most efficient method for acquisition of material based on demand.
- Functions as a point of contact for the library system staff, customers, and vendors for any activities relating to collection development, collection management, acquisitions, and interlibrary loan, in conjunction with assigned staff in area of responsibility.
- Responsible for working with assigned staff in area of responsibility for planning for future trends for the library's resources, both physical and virtual, and keeping up to date in terms of emerging technologies and trends which will shape future collections.
- Uses various statistics, data, and feedback from branch staff, the integrated library system, and other areas to help determine allocation of funds, selection of materials, and weeding to help efficiently manage the collection, both physical and virtual.
- Works with the Technical Services Manager and other supervisors to shape and manage projects relating to collections, and to review and implement policies and processes for collections, both physical and virtual.
- Works with the Technical Services Manager, collections staff, and library vendors to review needs for physical and electronic collections.
- Works with the Technical Services Manager and the Manager of Cataloging/Integrated Library System Administrator for any areas relating to collections and their relationship and/or representation with or in the integrated library system and catalog.
- Helps to investigate how emerging trends or new resources will affect the future of collections for the library system, and helps to implement new programs or resources for both physical and electronic resources to meet the needs of library customers.
- Helps to review current collections and resources, both physical and electronic, to determine if resources are still relevant to meet customer needs, or if collections and resources need to be sunset for new or different formats.
- Attends and participates in system-wide meetings and committees as needed. May lead task force or other groups for area of responsibility and/or for the library system.
- Helps to communicate information to the public and staff in terms of questions or observations posed relating to the collections of the Lee County Library System.
- Helps in other areas and with special projects in the Library Processing Center as needed and/or with the Library System.
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to a Master's degree in Library Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association with six years of progressively responsible experience in professional library work involving the application of specialized library science techniques is required.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check is required.
- The County may require employees to make a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organizations' business needs.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures, and techniques of library science and library administration and management.
- Thorough knowledge of a variety of reading interests of patrons of different ages and backgrounds.
- Prefer managerial or supervisory experience.
- Prefer experience with collection development, management, and analysis of library collections.
- Prefer experience with library budgeting.
- Prefer experience with library automation systems.
- Prefer knowledge of resource sharing in libraries.
- Ability to make recommendations to supervisors about budgetary needs, which may include Capital Improvement Plan and grant funds.
- Ability to adapt library science to the requirements of educational, historical, or social science research.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, volunteers, and the general public.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of professional and clerical personnel.
- Ability to become proficient with existing technology systems, software, and computer equipment used by the library system, adapt to new technology developments and changes, and learn teaching skills to assist patrons with technology.
- Ability to share new resources with staff and the public.
- Ability to present ideas and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- This position typically works 80 hours bi-weekly; the days and hours will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Library Processing
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 881 Gunnery Road; Suite 2
- Lehigh Acres
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Brenda Skiba
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at http://www.leegov.com/hr/jobsearch or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 2115 Second Street, First Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.