Instructions for Applying:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit an online application; please note, only online applications are accepted.
April 09, 2010
For More Information
|| Librarian Youth - Gulf Gate Library
|Number of Positions Available:
|| $34,257.60 (min.) - $43,513.60 (mkt) NOTE: Librarian-in-Training 10% less $31,143.27
Librarian (Gulf Gate Library) The Gulf Gate Library has a full-time vacancy for an energetic, team-oriented Youth Services Librarian with a strong public service commitment. The employee in this position will lead the youth services team in a busy library with a long tradition of providing programs for a diverse population. Through collaboration with the Manager and co-workers, this individual will guide the development of services for children, young adults, families, caregivers and related youth-serving professionals. Responsibilities include direct assistance to customers, recommendations for collection development, technology instruction, planning and presenting programs, strategic planning and evaluation of service outcomes. Gulf Gate Library is located in South Sarasota in a neighborhood where walking and bicycling to the library is part of the community tradition of services to children, teens and families. Plans will be developed for renovation or replacement of the Gulf Gate Library; experience in contributing to library design is a plus.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost courtesy and respect.
- Assists patrons in locating resources and information and with the use of materials, resources and equipment.
- Interprets library policies and contributes to the constructive use of library resources and services. Promotes library materials and services within the agency and system-wide.
- Participates in the establishment of agency and section plan of service for patrons, develops methods for achieving goals, and evaluates progress toward these goals.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Contributes to the establishment and implementation of system-wide Youth Services goals, general library service goals, agency goals, and overall section goals and their evaluation.
- Participates in system projects and initiatives.
- Coordinates, communicates and collaborates with other agencies, organizations and teams within the library system, the county and the community.
- Coordinates daily activities of staff and volunteers. Encourages staff and volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
- Facilitates development of budget recommendations, with supporting documentation, publicity and plans for youth programs and services.
- Participates in grant writing for section and system-wide youth projects.
- Prepares correspondence for approval by supervisor, compiles statistical, budgetary and other reports for administration and maintains records.
- Takes a leadership role in developing effective and productive youth service teams.
- Facilitates development of programming goals for children ages 0-18 and helps develop appropriate activities for fulfill these goals and evaluates progress.
- Represents the library at public events, participates in system-wide public relations efforts.
- Helps youth team prepare annual collection development priorities and in communicating these priorities to Libraries Administration.
- Collaborates with team on the on-going selection process and analysis of community needs through systematic evaluation of current collection and immediate and projected needs for all youth materials in a variety of formats.
- Contributes to agency collection development plan and to system-wide collection development projects.
- Oversees processing of new and gift materials for section.
- Evaluates collection and discards worn or outdated materials.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Other duties as assigned
|Education / Qualifications:
A Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited college or university or comparable level of education.
Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree and currently enrolled in a MLS/MLIS program accredited by the American Library Association with the ability to obtain a MLS/MLIS within six (6) months of appointment may apply for a librarian-in-training program. The salary of the training program position starts at 10% below the minimum of the pay grade. Note: Those in the training program must obtain their MLS within six (6) months; failure to obtain the MLS within this period will result in removal from the classification and may jeopardize continued employment.
- Knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities.
- Organizational and supervisory skills including planning and budget management.
- Knowledge of how to plan and guide program activities for children, young adults, parents, educators and caregivers.
- Ability to perform as a facilitator and promote a good team environment.
- Coaching skills.
Libraries are open 7 days a week. Typical hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. Applicants must be flexible to work shifts (hours/days) as assigned.
Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. A dolly, cart or other device is available to move books.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful
applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA
|| Gulf Gate Library
7112 Curtiss Ave
|| Sarasota County Government
|| 1660 Ringling Blvd
|Email this Job Posting:
Enter a valid email address to email this job posting to a friend:
Job descriptions on the Florida Library Jobs Web site are posted and maintained by the respective library employers who submitted them to this site. Florida Library Jobs has no further information about these job openings. For questions about a particular job opening, please contact the library offering the job.