Job: Library - Head of Technical Services & Cataloging
Go back to All Jobs
- Library - Head of Technical Services & Cataloging
- Number position available:
- $38,175.28 - $61,080.76
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
NATURE OF WORK:
The Head of Technical Services and Cataloging is responsible for cataloging, organizing, and processing library materials, both physical and virtual, for the Northwest Regional Library System, as well as database maintenance duties for the integrated library system. This position supervises Technical Services Department staff and will oversee the materials acquisition process and customer notification and billing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs, trains, and coordinates activities of staff engaged in the acquisition and physical preparation of library materials. Determines work procedures, work schedules, and expedites workflow.
- Performs original and copy cataloging, using standard cataloging principles, of all formats of library materials for all NWRLS locations to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
- Reviews materials to be classified and searches information resources to determine subject matter. Assigns classification numbers, descriptive headings, and explanatory summaries to facilitate locating and obtaining materials. Examines materials and notes additional information such as bibliographies, illustrations, maps, and appendices.
- Interprets and applies Library of Congress subject headings, the Dewey Decimal System, the AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials.
- Maintains authority records and performs needed authority work in the database.
- Adds eBook titles and other downloadable content to the online public catalog through vendor batch input.
- Adds OCLC holdings either through vendor batch input or manually.
- Manages withdrawal of catalog records, items, and OCLC holdings.
- Participates in budget preparation and projections related to acquisitions, cataloging, and materials processing.
- Coordinates the process of identifying and removing missing and long overdue items from the collection to ensure an accurate database of library holdings.
- Performs annually batch deletes of inactive library accounts.
- Functions as the point of contact for library system staff for any issues or questions pertaining to cataloging, processing of resources, catalog database maintenance, and customer notification and billing. Consults with library staff in order to resolve cataloging and database problems.
- Develops and presents staff training on the use of the public access catalog, circulation systems, and collection maintenance reports.
- Coordinates with Information Technology Department staff in diagnosing problems with the database or its proprietary software, and scheduling updates and maintenance. Consults directly with the database vendor to resolve issues when appropriate.
- Oversees newspaper and magazine subscriptions for the library system. Coordinates renewals, additions and cancelations and manages the claims process for missing issues. Checks-in magazine and newspaper issues received by the Bay County Public Library.
- Oversees customer email notification and overdue/lost billing processes.
- Maintains statistics in collection inventory and technical services activity and prepares reports including conclusions and recommendations for solutions to department problems. Completes the annual state statistical report section pertaining to library collections.
- Tracks the materials acquisition process and makes adjustments as needed to improve efficiency of operations.
- Maintains awareness of current cataloging and technical services practices and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Requests department supplies such as book covers, book tape, barcodes and labels.
- Operates audio/visual item repair equipment to clean and repair DVDs and CD audio discs.
- Participates in regular staff meetings as a member of the library management team and reports on Technical Services Department activities and issues.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with County policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- May submit orders for library materials, assign fund accounts, and receive and verify invoices and orders in the absence of department staff.
- Works in public service departments as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Maintains harmony among workers and resolves grievances.
- Full time presence on the job.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited Library School.
- Three (3) or more years of work experience cataloging library materials.
- A Bachelor's degree and five (5) or more years of work experience cataloging library materials may be substituted for the Master's degree in Library Science.
- Experience with original cataloging in various physical and virtual formats, acquisitions procedures and work flows, and authorities management.
- Knowledge of cataloging principles including MARC, DDC, and RDA.
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Expertise in the use of MS Word, Excel, and Outlook is essential.
- Must be able to comprehend, speak and read the English language.
- Must have and maintain good interpersonal and communication skills.
Licenses and/or Certifications
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver License.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Bay County Public Library
- Job Location:
- Northwest Florida
- 898 W. 11th Street
- Panama City
- Institution Name :
- Northwest Regional Library System
- 898 W. 11th Street
- Panama City
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Maria Westfall
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online before 07/24/17 at 05:00 PM Central.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
Human Resources Department
840 W. 11th Street
Panama City, FL 32401
An Equal Opportunity Employer