Job: Librarian I - Special Projects
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian I - Special Projects
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Gulfport Public Library is looking for a dynamic talented librarian, responsibilities include; the development, scheduling, and implementation of community focused programming for all ages, passport acceptance, special projects, and traditional library services. The person awarded the position will have shown a successful track of creating programming for all age groups and the ability to work independently in a fast paced environment. Ability to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and also push and pull heavy objects. Must possess a Masters in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association. Two (2) years of library experience preferred. Background checks, drug screening and physicals will be conducted. Entry $18.715/hour. Position open until filled. Applicant must fill out a City of Gulfport employment application to be considered for this position. Applications accepted at City Hall – 2401 53rd St South or fax at (727) 893-1005. Position is part-time with the capacity of becoming fulltime if work load warrants the change. E.O.E.
MAJOR FUNCTION NON-EXEMPT
Professional work involving the various phases of library operations. Responsibility for the development, scheduling, and implementation of community focused programming for all ages, passport acceptance, special projects, and traditional library services.
- Developing programs for the community and thinking of new and innovative ways to implement library services.
- Implement passport services.
- Provides reader’s advisory and reference services.
- Work with patrons and maintain a high level of customer service even in difficult situations.
- Work with computerized circulation software and other library databases and websites
- Maintains the operation of the circulation desk according to established procedures.
- Checks out books and other materials. Processes new library cards. Maintains records of fines and fees.
- Prepare reports. Retrieves data from computer.
- Travel to Cooperative locations for meetings.
- Preforms related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of current principles of adult library service.
- Knowledge of adult materials.
- Knowledge of how the use of technology applies to library service.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to adapt to changes in the library environment.
- Ability to learn and apply complex automated procedures and to utilize computer equipment, the Internet, and new technologies in performance of day-to-day work.
- Ability to coordinate the work of assigned staff and volunteers
- Ability to plan and assign work to paraprofessional and clerical library staff.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the services and operations of the libraries. Knowledge of standard clerical methods and practices. Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays.
- Knowledge of public library organizations and operations.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Ability to deal with diverse elements simultaneously. Ability to plan and assign work to paraprofessional and clerical library staff.
- Ability to train and instruct library patrons and staff.
- Ability to operate the library automation systems, computers, printers, and audio-visual equipment.
- Ability to instruct others on emerging technologies that may relate to library services.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and also push or pull heavy objects.
- May use a handling device (dolly, cart, etc.) or work with another team member to lift and/or move excessively heavy objects.
- Job requires walking, standing, sitting, pushing, pulling, crawling, bending, stooping, and reaching. Also requires use of a video display terminal. Ability to communicate effectively using speaking, hearing, writing and vision skills.
- Must possess a Master's in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
- Two (2) years of library experience preferred.
- Experience with library programs preferred.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Gulfport Public Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 5501 28th Ave South
- Institution Name :
- Gulfport Public Library
- 5501 28th Ave South
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Shannon Farrell
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please fill out a City of Glfport application. Found at https://mygulfport.us/human-resources/