Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Under general supervision, plans and presents programs and events for children, teens and adults to encourage interest in reading and utilizing the library and its resources.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Develop, plan, schedule and deliver routine and special programs and events; contributes programming content to add to the shared wiki for system use.
- Analyze current trends in education, early and emergent literacy to correlate programming with educational standards.
- Create reading lists and information material pamphlets for use in-house and for distribution to community partners.
- Create and maintain web pages, virtual galleries and social media for events and programs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Orange County Public Schools to provide program and service information and to gather information on the needs of schools and students; promote Library programs and membership in schools.
- Distribute, collect and analyze surveys and evaluations; utilize data to improve programming and obtain funding for programs.
- Attend community events, develop contacts, distribute literature, solicit donations, and meet with youth to promote the Library's youth services programs.
- Recruit, interview, train and supervise volunteers engaged in programming.
- Set-up and operate audio-visual equipment and associated sound boards, speakers, microphones, etc.; assist and train staff from other departments in the use of equipment.
- Identify popular interests and create displays to encourage circulation; design display headings and share system-wide.
- Assist in a variety of daily operations including circulation, facilities, and customer service routines; provide instruction and information sessions on library equipment services.
- Participate and contribute content for meetings and initiatives with the Youth Services Department.
- Uses standard office equipment, including a computer, in the course of the work.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in education, library sciences, or a closely related field; AND one (1) year of experience in early childhood education; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
- Valid Florida Driver's License.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Public library principles, practices, and techniques.
- Current literature, trends, and developments, especially those pertaining to children's services.
- Children's and young adult literature.
- Automated library systems, on-line tools and resources, and the Internet.
- Library system, Branch, and Youth Program/Children's Services policies and procedures.
- Computer hardware and associated software.
- Library District terminology and functions.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with the public, in person and over the telephone.
- Performing program and event management.
- Dealing with the public, in person and over the telephone.
- Developing, designing and implementing programs and events.
- Speaking effectively and making presentations before large groups of individuals.
- Researching literature trends and developments.
- Performing data analyses and composing appropriate reports.
- Maintaining accurate records and files.
- Social media marketing and communication.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Using tact, discretion and prudence in dealing with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Training and supervising volunteers.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Supervision - Incumbents at this level are given assignments and objectives that are governed by specifically outlined work methods and a sequence of steps, which are explained in general terms. The responsibility for achieving the work objectives, however, rests with a superior. Immediate supervision is not consistent, but checks are integrated into work processes and/or reviews are frequent enough to ensure compliance with instructions.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in an office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 20 pounds; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a library setting.
I understand it is my responsibility to uphold the Library System's mission and values in the pursuit of all duties including:
- Respect for the individual, our organization and the community
- Excellence in everything we do
- Integrity in our actions with others
- While providing excellent customer service to all internal and external customers
Physical address where the job position is located.