Job: Director, Library Services
Go back to All Jobs
- Director, Library Services
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Barry University is currently accepting applications for a Director of Library Services. This is a full time position at the Main Campus.
The Director of Library Services provides innovative and effective leadership in the provision of high quality library services and resources to the University community. Responsibilities include developing, implementing and evaluating Library policies and procedures; managing, evaluating and reporting on Library operations; ensuring appropriate access to print and electronic information resources; supervising high quality Bibliographic Instruction and Reference programs; and collaboratively coordinating the management of the departments of Technical Services, Public Services, and the University’s Archives and Special Collections. This position works closely with the Law Library to manage shared library automation systems and information resources.
Oversees all Library operations (including the departments of Technical Services, Public Services, Archives and Special Collections, and Reference and Instruction) by:
- Supervising and coordinating the activities of the Assistant Director and Department managers in planning, providing, and evaluating library policies, procedures, services and resources.
- Collaborating with the Collection Manager and subject specialists to ensure that the library's print and electronic resources adequately support all educational and research programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral level.
- Supporting distance learning programs by providing efficient access to electronic information resources and distance services.
- Functioning as chief fiscal officer for the Library, and developing and expending budget allocations.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to identify, evaluate and implement programs that improve Library services resources and facilities.
- Developing the library staff as a strong team by collaborating with Assistant Directors and Managers of departments in providing for the selection, training, evaluation, and maintenance of adequate Library staffing.
Actively participates in Department, Division and University management activities by:
- Serving on University-wide committees, groups, taskforces, and councils such as the Undergraduate Council and the Academic Affairs Council.
- Serving on Divisional committees, groups, taskforces, and councils.
- Leading Library committees, groups, and taskforces such as the Professional Librarian Group.
- Preparing and providing Library activity and assessment reports.
Provides external representation and reporting by:
- Cultivating external relationships, and developing grant opportunities with public and private sector organizations in support of the University Libraries’ programs.
- Representing and promoting the library, formally and informally to the University, community and the world.
- Participating actively in local, state and national professional library organizations.
- Participating in cooperative resource sharing efforts with state and local networks through organizations such as LYRASIS and ICUF.
Coordinates strategic planning for the library by:
- Maintaining a solid understanding of industry trends, and "best practices" in the library and information technology fields.
- Coordinating the development of the Library strategic plan within the Division of Academic Affairs to ensure that library services and activities further the University mission.
- Facilitating the continuous transformation of the library into a technologically advanced “information commons” that integrates diverse resources, provides exceptional patron services, seeks new opportunities, actively engages with the community, collaborates with university units, and sustains a vibrant research and learning community.
Provides instructional and collection development services, oversight and support by:
- Providing high quality instruction services to assigned schools and departments.
- Providing collection development services to assigned schools and departments.
- Master's degree in Library Science.
- 5-8 years of experience as a Library Director.
- Responsible for managing and supervising university library development projects.
- Must possess excellent analytical skills of library resources and budgetary needs.
- Must have excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Miami Shores
- Job Location:
- Southeast Florida
- 11300 NE 2nd Avenue
- Miami Shores
- Institution Name :
- Barry University
- 11300 NE 2nd Avenue
- Miami Shores
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Dora Delgado
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 305 899 4908
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply