Job: Library Manager - Shannon Staub Public Library
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Manager - Shannon Staub Public Library
- Number position available:
- $56,680.00 -74,422.00
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Library Manager (Shannon Staub Public Library) (Official Job Title: Manager II): This is a management level position responsible for planning, budgeting, directing and supervising the operation of a branch library; continuing development of library services and resources; coaching, mentoring, and supervising staff; developing and maintaining community partnerships, including with the Friends of the Library. The Manager participates with the Management Team to establish service plans to meet the objectives of the Library System. Contributes to a culture characterized by respect and commitment to excellent service.
- Oversees daily library operations including participating in budget and business plan development and administration; keeps records/reports to indicate progress and for future planning. Seeks alternative revenue sources.
- Develops, communicates, and implements strategic plans, and establishes long and short range goals for the branch library.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates special projects, services, and programs.
- Interprets policies and procedures for staff and the public.
- Evaluates building, equipment, and repair needs and works with various departments to address issues.
- Actively participates on the Library System Management Team, particularly in the development of long and short range plans, policies and procedures, and participates in system-wide projects and service teams.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
- Promotes the value, mission, products, and services of the library and throughout the community.
- Works with library support groups such as the Friends of the Library.
- Develops and maintains community partnerships.
- Networks with other agencies within the County, the community, and the library profession.
- Prepares and presents oral, written, and visual presentations to groups.
- Promotes the understanding and use of library programs, resources, and services.
- Monitors the quality of materials collections for the branch, maintains awareness of library collections, and continually analyzes and evaluates the collection based on changing community needs. Communicates changing collection needs to library administration and collection development staff.
- Maintains currency in library literature for awareness of trends in areas of new formats, methods of delivery, circulation models, new technologies, etc.
- Oversees the monitoring and expenditure of library budget.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks on a regular basis and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Promote effective communication of information to all internal and external customers.
- Participates in and/or facilitates training, community meetings, and activities of the Library Advisory Board, Friends, Alliance, Friends of the Library, etc.
- Evaluates staffing needs for the unit and interviews and selects candidates for hire.
- Monitors and manages performance, including the administration of corrective action.
- Conducts regularly scheduled staff meetings and one on one meetings with each employee as needed.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Storm-related functions: Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree required from an accredited college/university AND four (4) years of related experience. One year or more of supervisory experience required.
Preferred Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited institution AND three (3) years of supervisory experience in a public library is preferred.
Job Competencies: Excellent written and verbal communication, knowledge of core library services and programs, and demonstrated skills in project management. Ability to develop and implement goals and objectives, and evaluate work of self and others. Knowledge of facilitation tools and understanding of the dynamics of self-directed teams. Considerable knowledge of staff management. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, officials, contractors, volunteers, community organizations and the general public. Public media interaction, presentation and negotiation skills. Advanced knowledge of computers, software and the evolving role of technology in library services. Commitment to adhere to County policies.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Shannon Staub Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 4675 Career Lane
- North Port
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources
- 1660 Ringling Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Jennifer Perry
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 941 861-5459
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online.