Under general direction, provides a broad range of library services to all ages through the provision of library resources, programs and outreach initiatives.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Assists customers contacting the Library for assistance through various interactive media, or as follow-up up to other requests in person or through Questline; identifies and locates required information or materials; prepares responses and materials, and communicates information to customers; documents responses to requests in Library database.
- Greets and assists customers throughout the Library.
- Interviews customers to determine the type of information they require. Recommends appropriate materials in accordance with age, request and need.
- Instructs customer on use of internet, ebooks, databases and other resources to locate additional information; assists customers in utilizing their devices to download materials.
- Creates and maintains online subject guides; researches subject areas, creates recommended reading lists and posts links of helpful websites.
- Prepares and presents classes, tours, programs and events to meet time and content objectives of customers and of the library; identifies subject matter for programs based on experience assisting customers.
- Develops and implements plans to market the availability of events/classes to specific needs of the public; provides supporting materials based on event; researches other providers of events and classes to help identify opportunities to build collaborations with community.
- Helps coordinate the activities of library staff.
- Prepares a variety of technical, statistical and narrative reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Provides instruction and information sessions on database and library services.
- Participates in Community Outreach events.
- Monitors developments in library services; participates in professional development activities.
- Monitors customers in the Library and reminds them of Library policies as required to ensure that the resources of the Library are fully accessible to all customers.
- Reviews databases for continued inclusion or additions to library resources.
- Monitors collection for accuracy, recommends materials to update/remove.
- Monitor public access computers, assist customers with computer operation and perform basic troubleshooting.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition; ensures safe operating conditions within area of responsibility.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Master’s Degree in library sciences, or a closely related field; AND one (1) year of library experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Principles and practices of library sciences and services.
- Current trends and developments in the field of library sciences.
- Research techniques.
- Library reference sources and subject background for collection development and customer services.
- Automated library information systems and their use and operation.
- Library policies and procedures.
- Principles and techniques of preparing effective written informational or educational materials.
- Records management principles and practices.
- Techniques for dealing with of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone and individuals with special needs.
- Principles and techniques of making effective oral presentations.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment; correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Planning, developing, implementing and managing library services and programming.
- Using automated library systems and resources.
- Performing research.
- Instructing others in the use of specialized automated library systems and in library materials research.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Making effective oral presentations to large and small groups.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Direction - Incumbents at this level have considerable latitude in the application of departmental policy, and they follow general guidelines or professional and administrative standards in accomplishing assignments. They are responsible for planning and organizing their own workload, but ordinarily cannot change methods of their assigned work unit, established operations, or departmental policy without supervisor approval. Supervision is minimal, indirect, and usually limited to technical oversight.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a library setting , use standard office equipment and stamina to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 10 pounds; vision to read printed materials and computer screens; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a library setting.
I understand it is my responsibility to uphold the Library System's mission and values in the pursuit of all duties including:
- Respect for the individual, our organization and the community
- Excellence in everything we do
- Integrity in our actions with others
- While providing excellent customer service to all internal and external customers