The Gulf Coast State College Library seeks applications from early-career librarians, with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, for the position of Academic Resident Librarian.
The role is a full-time, three-year appointment, non-renewable, entry-level professional position. As a member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance, GCSCLibrary is committed to increasing the number of qualified and talented individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups going into academic librarianship. The GCSC Library seeks qualified candidates whose backgrounds and experiences will enrich our community.
The experience will provide a foundation for a strong career in academic librarianship. A flexible program will address the Resident’s goals and interests as well as the Library’s needs. The Library will support the Resident’s career interests through mentoring, training, professional development, and participation on college committees. The college offers a comprehensive benefit package including: medical, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; disability coverage; retirement savings plans; flexible spending accounts; tuition reimbursement; a wellness program; paid holidays and generous sick and vacation leave accrual. In addition, Florida does not have a state income tax.
The primary functions of all professional librarian positions are to teach patrons how to research using the library print and online resources, including assessing patron needs, determining the best information to meet those needs, searching for and instructing patrons how to find and acquire accurate information; to serve faculty departments in a liaison role for information literacy instruction and collection development; and to supervise the operations of the library during evening or weekend shifts.
An additional function of this position is to support the digital presence of library services through the website, SpringShare and other web-based library services products, database interfaces, and the Canvas learning management system. Liaison areas include Business and Technology as well as Wellness and Athletics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The ability to work flexible hours and regular attendance at work are essential functions of this position. The ability to travel locally and out of town on college related business may be required. Due to the nature of the college schedule, librarians rotate supervising during nights and weekends.
Required competencies include:
• ability to teach information resources to students in college courses
• familiarity with course management systems
• ability to initiate frequent outreach and contacts with faculty
• experience or recent course work in reference and collection development
• user-focused web design skills
• knowledge of XML, HTML, CSS, and web accessibility standards
• proficiency with common productivity applications and Adobe CC software
• ability to use and troubleshoot common library hardware and peripherals
• knowledge of current and emerging technologies, issues and trends, and needs of academic libraries
• effective oral and written skills
• strong interpersonal skills
• exceptional organizational and time management skills
• creativity, flexibility, and initiative
• detail orientation
• ability to work independently and as part of a team
Candidates with academic library coursework, internship, or paraprofessional experience are preferred.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Complete all requirements for online application at https://www.gulfcoast.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities.html.