Job: Instructional Support Specialist - Math
Go back to All Jobs
- Instructional Support Specialist - Math
- Number position available:
- $15.58 per hour
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Key Position Information:
St. Petersburg College (SPC) is committed to supporting the academic excellence of students, providing opportunities for economic mobility, and engaging the community. The Learning Resources department is dedicated to providing outstanding instructional support and library resources to students and faculty in pursuit of academic excellence. Our commitment to the community is enhanced by providing collaborative educational and informational community programming.
Clearwater Learning Resources comprises dynamic instructional support and tutoring services, as well as community engagement in a joint-use facility: Clearwater East Community Library. Candidates for this position must demonstrate excellent proficiency in basic math, college algebra, trigonometry, math for liberal arts, calculus, and statistics. The successful candidate will tutor students individually or in small groups, create supplemental instructional material, and present workshops and review sessions to support students/faculty. Candidates must have strong communication and presentation skills, an enthusiasm for student service, and experience assisting students of varying academic levels and learning styles. The ideal candidate will have experience with online tutoring and/or a willingness to tutor students virtually.
Advanced degree in the field or ability to be credentialed in subject area is preferred.
This class is the first of four levels in the Instructional Support series. Incumbents provide tutoring services to students in one or more academic areas. Responsibilities may include tutoring individuals or small groups of students; monitoring and scheduling student tutors; administering tests; compiling instructional materials to be used in the tutoring process; delivering developed content; and maintaining records of student progress.
- Applicable subject matter(s);
- Education principles and practices;
- Applicable technologies related to subject material;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Educating students;
- Working with students of diverse backgrounds;
- Maintaining an appropriate learning environment;
- Maintaining student records;
- Using a computer and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
- Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
Tutors students in small groups or one-on-one formats, which involves: assessing student needs in order to facilitate and maximize tutoring sessions; proofreading written work prepared by students; obtaining and utilizing appropriate course materials, such as the course syllabus; and performing related duties.
Assists students with interpreting and understanding instructions and written feedback.
Provides student support services which includes administering tests; compiling instructional materials to be used in the tutoring process; and performing related duties.
Maintains student records, evaluations, and reports.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Two years related experience.
* An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may be acceptable in lieu of those requirements listed above.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- SPC Clearwater Campus
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 2465 Drew Street
- Institution Name :
- St. Petersburg College
- P.O. Box 13489
- St. Petersburg
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON-LINE AT: https://www.spcollege.edu/hrapp/application/jobs.php