Job: Digital Humanities Librarian
Go back to All Jobs
- Digital Humanities Librarian
- Number position available:
- Rank/Salary: Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based on qualifications and experience.
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Florida International University Libraries’ Digital Collections Center and GIS Center invite applications for the position of Digital Humanities Librarian to join our growing team of digital scholarship professionals, supporting research, teaching, and learning in the humanities and social sciences.
The successful candidate will collaborate with library colleagues as well as serve as liaison to academic units across campus to provide training, project development, and consultation in current and evolving methods of digital scholarship. As the Libraries’ designated expert in emerging humanities research tools and methods, the Digital Humanities Librarian will participate in outreach and campus engagement, maintaining active rapport with faculty and students, supporting a range of digital scholarship services.
- Identify and evaluate existing and emerging digital humanities tools and methodologies
- Provide individual consultation and training on digital scholarship tools and techniques
- Develop tutorials and instructional videos as well as deliver presentations, class instruction, and workshops on topics related to digital humanities tools and methodologies
- Foster and maintain relationships with the university community as well as peer institutions involved in humanities research and scholarship
- Assist students, faculty, and researchers in planning successful, creative, and sustainable digital projects
- Plan and support digital humanities events
- Support grant writing and other funding opportunities relating to digital humanities
- Engage in scholarly activity through presentations, conferences, workshops, seminars or other activities that enhance professional knowledge in the area of digital humanities
- Serve the library and/or institution through contribution in meetings and committee work
- Serve the library profession through involvement in professional organizations and through cooperative efforts with other information professionals
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned by department and assistant head
- ALA accredited Master of Library Science (MLS or MLIS) degree
- Demonstrated experience with digital humanities / digital scholarship tool and methodologies
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to work across diverse departments and individual library and university stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership quality and experiences in creating and supervising work flows and project implementation
- Two or more years of professional experience working with digital collections or digital scholarship
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and creativity
- Experience developing and delivering workshops and other training
- Experience working with faculty and students
- Familiarity with issues in copyright and open access
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Second Masters or Bachelors in the Humanities
- Second Masters or Bachelors in the Computer Science
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Florida International University, Steven and Dorothea Green Library
- Job Location:
- Southeast Florida
- 11200 SW 8th Street
- Institution Name :
- Florida International University
- 11200 SW 8th Street
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Lori Driver
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 515900 at facultycareers.fiu.edu and must attach a cover letter and resume as a single pdf file. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three professional references who will be as determined by the search committee. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by October 11, 2018. Review will continue until position is filled.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.