Job: LIBRARIAN, YOUNG ADULT
Go back to All Jobs
- LIBRARIAN, YOUNG ADULT
- Number position available:
- $39,863.72 - $70,758.22 Annually
- Job Category:
- Young Adult Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Lee County Library System, a dynamic, forward thinking organization, is offering enthusiastic, community-minded candidates the opportunity to become a part of the team at the South County Regional Library As a Young Adult Librarian, you will have a positive impact on our community and help shape the future by providing programs and other library services to children and teens. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enthusiastically embraces public library services and demonstrates a positive attitude, good judgment, and a commitment to teamwork.
- Plan and present programs and activities for children and teens at the library and at outreach locations.
- Present tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Maintain a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the children and teen collection through weeding, selection, and displays.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in reader's advisory to children and teens .
- May be assigned to participate in branch specific and system-wide committees.
- May supervise paraprofessional personnel.
- May be in charge of the library for specific days or shifts.
- Develop and maintain communications and contacts with nearby secondary schools and community organizations that serve teens.
- Provide stellar customer service by assisting patrons of all ages using Library resources and services, including computers, electronic resources, reference and reader's advisory.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Recruit, train, and oversee teen volunteers.
- Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association or closed related field such as Education or School Media or the ability to obtain this degree within 6 months of hire.
- Requires one year library or closely related experience; for degrees other than MLS, experience must be in a library.
- Experience with planning and presenting programs to children and teens is preferred.
- Prefer experience and/or education related to children's and teen's literature and programming.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record is required
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills is preferred.
- Ability to deliver an exemplary customer experience is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team is preferred.
- Ability to learn and adopt new and emerging technologies is preferred.
- Ability to analyze the needs of the community and to plan, develop and conduct appropriate programs for targeted groups is preferred.
- Ability to engage community partners in the promotion of library programs is preferred.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
- The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
- This position requires 80 Hours Bi-Weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- South County Regional Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 21100 Three Oaks Parkway
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Brenda Skiba
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at http://www.leegov.com/hr/jobsearch or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 2115 Second Street, First Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.