Job: Librarian - North Port Library
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian - North Port Library
- Number position available:
- $40,788.80 - $55,806.40
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Librarian (Official Job Title: Library Professional): Professional duties covering the full scope of library services to all library users within a teamwork environment. Special emphasis on library programming for all ages; makerspace planning, technology, programming, and instruction; and coordinating the marketing and promotion of library services and programming.
Subject to Passing a Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Provides informational services for the community.
- Presents individual and group training programs for public and staff in the use of the library, its technology and equipment, and its resources.
- General reference service in assisting customers by locating answers to questions, including Inter-library Loan services and referral to agencies outside the library.
- Provides general service assistance including the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists with collection development by recommending materials.
- Participates in collection maintenance, including, shelving, shifting and weeding.
- May perform item coordinator duties.
- Promotes the understanding and use of the library and its resources.
- Prepares reviews, press releases, bibliographies, and other promotional displays.
- Creates displays and offers outreach services; coordinates outreach services in the community with library and system staff.
- Plans and directs library programming for adults, young adults, and children, in coordination with other library professionals at the North Port Library and throughout the library system.
- Analyzes and identifies service population needs, and develops plans to meet those needs.
- Networks with other agencies to provide and obtain materials and services.
- Represents the library and library interests within the community.
- Participates in presentation and development of technology training and information literacy programs for staff and patrons.
- Participates in ad-hoc/one-on-one training of customers in use of library technology.
- May coordinate library volunteer activities.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of library makerspace technology at the North Port Library; assist in the creation, organization, and maintenance of North Port Library’s makerspace; and provide makerspace programming and instruction.
- Compile, report and interpret statistics.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of system-wide reference services and programs.
- Identify and develop plans to meet agency staffing, equipment and resource needs.
- Perform routine equipment cleaning/maintenance.
- May order supplies, prepare work schedules, receive and check-in periodicals and newspapers.
- May perform some cash management functions.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association OR a Bachelor's Degree AND enrolled in a MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain a MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience or coursework in young adult librarianship, archives or music librarianship.
Job Based Competencies: Experience in a reference, programming, or technology related position in a public library preferred. Above average customer service skills, ability to multitask, ability to adapt to various and changing duties as required. Skill in operating library technologies of all sorts. Skill in using various electronic devices, including, but not limited to Kindle, Nook, tablets, and iPads and imparting this knowledge to customers of all ages. Ability to train/coach patrons in the use of technology. High degree of technological aptitude required with familiarity with library makerspace technology and concepts. Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally to promote and market library events required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or Microsoft Publisher a plus. Ability to create and deliver high-quality library programming for all ages required.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- North Port Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 13800 Tamiami Trail North
- North Port
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources
- 1660 Ringling Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Holly Anderson
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 941 861-1306
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online https://www.scgov.net/government/career-opportunities