Job: Librarian (Youth Services) North Port
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian (Youth Services) North Port
- Number position available:
- $40,788.80 - $55,806.40
- Job Category:
- Children's Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Librarian (Youth Services) (Official Job Title: Library Professional): The Youth Librarian develops and implements library services to children and their families by collaborating with library co-workers, educators and community agency representatives. The Youth Librarian creates an environment where children and their families are engaged, utilize the resources and services of the library, where they feel comfortable and will be inspired to explore their scholastic and creative potential. All employees are expected to work together to create a positive library environment and a learning culture. All employees will contribute to both setting and achieving goals as a section, library and system.
Subject to Passing a Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
Customer Service Skills and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills: courteous, sensitive, tactful, with rapport & discretion.
- Communicates well with others. Is a good listener. Speaks clearly and distinctly.
- Works well as a team to effectively solve problems and resolve conflicts. Supports and respects diversity.
- Demonstrates good judgement and intuition. Demonstrates ability to handle all types of customers and/or situations.
- Is open, sincere, honest and responsible. Is inquisitive, creative and eager to continue learning.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry.
- Designs and implements library services to meet the needs and interests of children and their families.
- As part of the Youth Services team, provides regular assistance at the Youth Services Desk and other sections as needed.
- Facilitates requests from children and their families for information and provides accurate and appropriate answers.
- Connects children and their families with resources that encourage reading.
- Provides informational services for the community, including access to library resources and services.
- Presents individual and group training for public and staff in use of library, technology, equipment, and resources.
- General reference service in assisting customers in locating answers to question and referral to agencies outside the library.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries and youth services.
- As part of the library team, provides regular assistance at Youth Service Desk and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users. Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users. Is aware of County and library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- Provides a leadership role to children.
- Designs, implements and sponsors library programs that offer information, special skills or entertainment based on the interests and developmental needs of children.
- Designs, implements and sponsors library programs that offer STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) to children and young adults.
- Defines and implements outreach services to increase children's use of library services and teach under-served populations.
- Prepares paper and electronic marketing materials such as calendars, flyers, newsletters, and signage.
- Prepares press releases and other promotional materials.
- Creates displays and offers outreach services; plans and directs programs for children and their families.
- Represents the library at local, community, county, regional, and system-wide meetings.
- Analyzes community areas to determine current and projected needs and interests.
- Gives outreach and in-library talks on library resources and services.
- Cultivates a good relationship with parents, children and young adults.
- Fosters partnerships with youth services agencies (such as Community Youth Development – CYD).
- Articulates and communicates to stakeholders the needs of children and young adults to receive quality library service.
- Operates within an assigned budget. Assists with identification of alternative funding sources and preparation of required documentation.
- Participates in developing goals and objectives in assigned section and agency.
- Interprets policies and procedures for the public.
- Operates and maintains library technology and equipment.
- Compiles, maintains and evaluates statistics.
- Attends cash management training and participates in the libraries cash management procedures as assigned.
- Acts as person in charge in absence of library manager and assistant manager.
- Builds a collection to meet the needs and interests of children and their families.
- Reviews and recommends materials for the collections.
- Participates in collection maintenance, including shelving, and weeding.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the collection and services through displays and other methods.
- Establishes and pursues strategies to stay informed about current and relevant information resources to enhance youth services in the community.
- Participates in the development of goals, objectives, business plan and annual evaluations. Instructs new department employees, coordinates assignments, and appraises performance.
- Encourages staff and volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks and assist in programming.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association OR a Bachelor's Degree AND enrolled in a MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain a MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Preferred Qualifications: Recommend course completion in library services for adolescents, including collection development, programming and evaluation. Courses in facilitation, web design and adolescent and children’s psychology are a plus.
Job Based Competencies: Knowledge of current trends, youth collection resources, and STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics). Facilitation and strategic planning skills recommended. Familiarity with operation of standard office equipment, Windows applications, ILS systems, desktop publishing software, etc. Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive, and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good listener who communicates well with others and demonstrates openness, sincerity and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping children enjoy and use library resources.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- North Port Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 13800 Tamiami Trail
- North Port
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources
- 1660 Ringling Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Holly Anderson
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 941 861-5000
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online: https://www.scgov.net/government/career-opportunities