Job title: Library Youth Assistant (part customer service, part product expert, part storyteller)
Department: Youth Services
Pay range: $13.18 – $15.18
Position type: Part-time, 32 hours, non-exempt position
You greet kids and caregivers with a smile and welcome them into our library. You help our young patrons find the fuel and the spark to unlimited ideas and opportunities. You refresh displays, create weekly creative arts projects, assist with story classes, answer questions, make reading recommendations, and ensure our books, media and music are handled efficiently, ready to be explored by our library patrons.
Ready to join our dynamic team and help us launch exceptional library services into the 21st century?
Who you are:
- You love kids! Seriously, you think they’re great.
- You’re outgoing – you thrill at sharing stories and letting people know what’s new and happening.
- You engage well with kids of all ages and are passionate about providing an exemplary patron experience for youngsters and their caregivers
- You’re a team player who thinks quickly on their feet.
- You’re excited about the prospect of growing and learning in a changing environment.
- You inspire fun in the people around you.
- You’ve got crafty impulses – cutting, pasting, drawing, and coloring.
Work you’ll love:
- You warmly welcome kids and caregivers into our library and ensure a great experience and a fond farewell.
- You provide amazing customer service by helping kids and caregivers find the book they want or assist them with self-checkout services.
- You’re a story explorer, keeping up with popular reads and making recommendations.
- You enjoy talking to our library patrons about your extensive knowledge of our promotions, classes, events and services.
- You assist with the opening and closing of the library; when we open our doors, the branch is clean and tidy and we are ready for the day’s adventures.
- You’re an inventory engineer, who helps look after our collections with a great attention to detail, ensuring they are stocked, clean and tidy and ready to provide a positive and memorable experience for our patrons.
- You are comfortable with computers and navigating technology, new and old.
- You are a genius at understanding the needs of the library patrons and connecting them to the right person at the right time.
- You are there to lend a hand if needed for library classes and events.
- You are a lifelong learner, enjoying your journey of professional development.
- You are the person the library patron recognizes and seeks out to say hello. You are always there to help them over the phone or in the library.
- You do the right thing. Every decision you make and action you take is an opportunity to demonstrate our collective integrity.
We are guided by a commitment to these shared values:
- Lifelong education
- Being a trusted community resource
- Equal access for all residents
- Innovation that is responsive to changing community needs
- Providing a place for connection and open exchange of ideas
Why Winter Park Public Library? A job with us is a chance to use your knowledge and experience to enable transformations every day. You will be instrumental in opening minds, inspiring learning, and transforming our patrons’ lives, whether they’re new visitors or veteran readers. As you help and inspire others, you will also be inspired.
This opportunity comes in the wake of our community approving a multi-million-dollar new state-of-the-art library and events center. You believe in the transformative power of the public library, and your talents will be important for the future of this exciting project.
Do you have what it takes?
- High school degree
- Childcare or youth services experience preferred
- Customer service experience preferred
- Ability to learn and use new technologies
- Continuous learner
- Flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
Your job will involve being “on the move” in our library and community: You need to stand, walk, crouch, stoop, squat, twist, climb, push/pull up to 50 pounds, and lift up to 25 pounds.
Physical address where the job position is located.