This position is one of four positions that are responsible for all service and clerical duties required in the operation of the library’s circulation desk as a public service to students, faculty, and other users. In the absence of the circulation manager or a professional librarian, library assistants have the responsibility for the library during operating hours. This position also processes and maintains interlibrary loan requests and produces marketing materials, programming, and book displays for the department.
• Learns the interlibrary loan module of the library’s automation system to process all interlibrary loan requests in an efficient manner.
• Borrows and lends material for interlibrary loan activity; keeps records of activity.
• Maintains interlibrary loan policies, LibGuide, and statistics.
• Remains up to date on copyright and privacy standards as pertaining to library services.
• Creates and maintains displays in various locations around the library.
• Plans and implements programming activities for finals week and other events throughout the year.
• Designs digital and print marketing materials in compliance with the university’s branding guide.
• Learns the circulation module of the library’s automation system in order to provide maximum quality service to library users.
• Staffs the circulation desk; explains policies and procedures; checks out and checks in circulating and reserve materials.
• Works with the user in solving problems relating to circulation policies and procedures; recommends changes to circulation policies and procedures when necessary.
• Provides limited assistance to library clients on the use of the automated catalog and indexes in both electronic and paper formats; directs users in locating materials; provides assistance with equipment to users; refers questions beyond training to a professional librarian.
• Assists in the training and supervision of student assistants in shelving of materials and shelf-reading as well as circulation student assistants; assumes responsibility for maintaining the order and appearance of the circulation collection and all areas of the library.
• Records statistics as necessary.
• Performs opening and closing procedures including preparing the equipment and facilities for the day when working the morning shift or weekend shift; closes the library and secures the building including shutting down equipment and the facilities for the night when working the evening or weekend shift.
• Responsible for the library in conjunction with other library assistants in the absence of the circulation manager or a librarian, which includes notifying Campus Security in case of problems or the need to evacuate the building during an emergency.
• Becomes familiar with the purpose and routine of other areas of public services; relieves personnel in these areas when needed.
• Reports in writing unusual incidents or violations of regulations to the Circulation Services Manager or other professionals on duty or to the Director of the Library.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum Education Requirement: High school diploma with the ability to learn various software programs and the library’s circulation module.
2. Minimum Work Experience: Previous experience in a library, museum, or archive.
3. Preferred Qualifications: Some college/university education; previous experience working with interlibrary loan; previous graphic design, marketing, merchandising, or event planning experience.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Please send your application (available from link above), resume, and letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.