Full-Time + employer paid benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement)
SUMMARY: This position provides the leadership and management of youth and STEAM programs, services, resources, supplies, and technology. The Youth Services Librarian reports to the Library Director and makes decisions independently and according to prescribed procedures. Plans for the long-range expansion of youth services and administers and directs daily operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following are not to be construed as an exclusive or all-inclusive listing of skills and abilities required to perform the job. Management may delegate other responsibilities as required.
· Develops, organizes, implements and measures the success of programs.
· Incorporates STEAM and new technology into children’s programs.
· Conducts and Coordinates programs and activities with schools, teachers, parent groups and other
· Provides literacy instruction for parents and children.
· Recruits, trains and directs library volunteers.
· Maintains the highly popular preschool story time.
· Communicates with the public using email, social media, and other avenues.
· Coordinates with area public and private educational organizations to promote awareness of
programs and services.
· May act as library liaison to community groups as necessary and develops community contacts.
· Performs collection development tasks for children and YA resources including selecting, ordering and
evaluating the collection for balance, timeliness, and comprehensiveness.
· Plans and assembles attractive displays to encourage reading.
· Assists in training new employees.
· Answers reader’s advisory and some reference questions from the public.
· Assists and instructs patrons in use of library tools and resources and conducts library tours.
· Identifies and makes recommendations for services and materials to meet community information needs.
· Interprets and enforces Library/City policies and procedures to the public and recommends policy
procedures updates to the director.
· Assists in other areas of the library as needed.
· Conducts public relations and outreach programs to support the library’s mission and goals.
· Prepares statistical reports on youth programs and services.
· Coordinates programming with the Library Guild.
· Participates in professional library organizations.
· Demonstrates commitment to Team Destin and our mission, vision, values, and goals
and represents the city in a professional, dignified manner at all times both in actions and appearance.
· Contributes to the development and accomplishment of home team work plans.
· Conducts special studies, surveys, projects, and duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program and three (3) years of work experience in a public library with (1) year in youth services with an emphasis on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math).
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Depending on staffing levels, may supervise, direct and evaluate the work of professional, paraprofessional, and supporting staff.
Hours: 40 hours per week including some evenings and Saturday rotation.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Complete application at: cityofdestin.com