The University of Central Florida (UCF) Libraries seeks a collaborative, service-oriented, and program-directed leader to administer all aspects of the Teaching and Engagement department. Under the general direction of the associate director for Research, Education, and Engagement, this position has full supervisory responsibilities and oversight of information literacy programs and coordinates efforts to develop, implement, market, and assess library services provided to identified student populations.
The successful candidate directly supervises three full-time librarians and one half time staff member. The department head also works in close association with the Head of the Research and Information Services department to coordinate the instructional and outreach efforts of subject librarians. The department head has primary responsibility for the main campus library instruction program but works collaboratively with librarians at branch and regional campuses.
In addition to creating information literacy modules and overseeing their effective integration into online courses, the department also is responsible for outreach and programming. As such, the department head supports and facilitates collaboration with library and other campus academic support units to implement the instruction and engagement goals of the library.
• Sets goals, directs, develops, and promotes instructional services to the campus community;
• Leads efforts to integrate information literacy outcomes and instruction throughout University programs. Oversees coordination of face-to-face library instruction and integration of library instruction modules or other online instruction options;
• Plans and implements training and professional development opportunities for librarians on all aspects of library instruction, including theory, best practices, and available resources;
• Integrates existing and emerging technologies related to the design and delivery of instruction services. Creates, maintains, and promotes instructional resources;
• Assesses and evaluates the instruction program through collection and analysis of statistics, including student learning outcomes;
• Coordinates systematic outreach efforts of library services and resources to various student groups. Develops working relationships and collaborations with institutional partners;
• Directs efforts to promote library services and resources through various media, such as videos, social media, and research guides;
• Furthers the goals of the Research, Education, and Engagement division; assists the associate director with development of division-wide goals, initiatives, and services;
• Participates in library and university activities and committees, is professionally active, and engages in scholarly activities appropriate to rank.
• Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution;
• At least three years post-MLS academic library experience.
• Supervisory experience in an academic library setting;
• Experience leading and planning projects;
• Experience with and knowledge of information literacy theory and best practices;
• Experience with developing and hosting professional development opportunities;
• Ability to integrate new instructional technologies;
• Ability to set and accomplish goals and meet deadlines;
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills;
• Ongoing professional activities and participation.
Environment: With more than 68,000 students, the University of Central Florida is the largest university by enrollment in Florida and one of the largest universities in the nation, offering ninety-two bachelor’s, eighty-three master’s, and thirty-one doctoral programs. The UCF Libraries houses a collection of more than 2 million volumes and 68,000 serials and is a partial depository for government documents and patents. Full-time staffing of 110 includes forty-six faculty librarians. For more information about the UCF Libraries see http://library.ucf.edu.
Salary and Rank: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a twelve-month, non-tenure track faculty position with insurance and retirement benefits, 22 paid annual days, 13 sick days, 9 holidays, and no state income tax.
To Apply: UCF requires all applications and supporting documents be submitted electronically through the Human Resources website, https://jobs.ucf.edu/cw/en-us/job/497156 Please complete the online application for job number 497156 by the close date of June 13, 2019. In addition to the online application, interested candidates should upload a cover letter, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references. Questions regarding this search may be directed to Search Chair, Penny Beile (email@example.com) 407-823-5488.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
Required: Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution and at least three years post-MLS academic library experience.
Physical address where the job position is located.