Job: Library Assistant - North Port Public Library
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Assistant - North Port Public Library
- Number position available:
- $11.99 - $14.85
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Library Assistant - North Port Public Library (Official Job Title: Customer Service Representative I): The Library Assistant (LA) establishes a high-level of customer service by positively interacting with citizens as well as internal customers and co-workers. As a direct point of contact for customers, the LA welcomes library patrons, performs basic service requests and resolves routine questions. As a team member, the LA clearly understands when to refer customers to a specialist, professional or manager to successfully meet a need or complete a request. The LA plays a significant role in guiding library volunteers and in the presentation and maintenance of the library collection. All employees are expected to work together to create a positive library environment and a learning culture. All employees will contribute to both setting and achieving goals as a section, library and system.
Customer Service Skills and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills: courteous, sensitive, tactful, with rapport & discretion.
- Communicates well with others. Is a good listener. Speaks clearly and distinctly.
- Works well as a team to effectively solve problems and resolve conflicts. Supports and respects diversity.
- Demonstrates good judgement and intuition. Demonstrates ability to handle all types of customers and/or situations.
- Is open, sincere, honest and responsible. Is inquisitive, creative and eager to continue learning.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry.
- Provides assistance at all library locations and stations including: Circulation, Information Reference, Youth and Young Adult services. Assists users in locating, selecting, and using resources.
- Assists library users in person, by phone, or electronically, answering questions, and /or redirecting questions to the appropriate person. Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users. Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users. Is aware of County and library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- Possesses technical knowledge of phone, computer and library-related equipment and the ability to assist users.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures, and plans of service including process improvements. Participates in planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library and county events.
- Attends annual cash management training and is competent in all areas of business unit cash management.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed and other circulation duties including issuing and renewing library cards.
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fines, fees, and Unique Management collections, including such duties as daily shift, drawer counts, and deposits as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required and reports on a timely basis.
- Assists in sorting and processing mail, as needed.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Sorts and shelves materials, and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists in operation and basic troubleshooting of automated materials check-in, emptying and swapping materials bins, and routine maintenance.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the collection and services through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section. Seeks opportunities for continuing development of self and others.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in clerical or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings. Spanish language skills.
Job Based Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive, and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good listener who communicates well with others and demonstrates openness, sincerity and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources. Technical knowledge of phone and computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use standard computers, software and business equipment.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- North Port Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 13800 South Tamiami Trail
- North Port
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Libraries and Historical Resources
- 1660 Ringling Blvd.
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Holly Anderson
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- 941 861-1306
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Please apply online