Job: Head of Library Technology
Go back to All Jobs
- Head of Library Technology
- Number position available:
- Compensation will be competitive and will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the person selected.
- Job Category:
- Networking & Automation
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The University of Miami Libraries seeks nominations and applications for a collaborative, innovative, and service-oriented professional to serve as the Head of Library Technology for the University of Miami Libraries. Under the general direction of the Associate Dean for Information Systems, Access, & Facilities, the Head of Library Technology provides creative leadership, management, budgetary oversight, and expertise to develop and execute the long-term technology strategy in support of the Libraries’ mission. This individual will collaborate with library staff in the six University of Miami Libraries [Richter, Architecture, Business, Marine Science, Medical, Music], the Law Library, and UM Information Technology [UMIT] on technological needs and expectations. This individual will lead the support and administration of the shared ExLibris Alma platform, Primo discovery service and related enterprise applications, including serving as the technical lead in UM’s partnership with ExLibris for the development of the Esploro Research Services Platform. The Head will maintain awareness of and implement new technologies with that support the Libraries’ research, learning and knowledge access agendas. The Head supervises a department of six, including the Integrated Systems Librarian and Systems Support Manager, responsible for the Libraries’ computing infrastructure of staff and public access computers and AV room/event support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages Systems departmental operations and budgets; plans and guides major purchases of hardware and software. Provides management and statistical reports on library systems operations. With unit leads, shares responsibility for the communication and management of services.
- Manages the integration, implementation, and maintenance of library software and systems to provide user services and enhance staff productivity. Serves as primary liaison with library software vendors.
- Provides technical expertise in the analysis of the IT infrastructure needs of Libraries’ end-users and staff and library-supported services; Develops and implements technology policies, plans, and programs, coordinating and cooperating with UML and University partners; represents library technology needs and priorities to campus stakeholders.
- Maintains an awareness of new and emerging technologies and standards and potential application in academic libraries. Provides recommendations and supports innovative local implementation.
- Participates on and leads project teams
- Supervises personnel assigned to the department, its sub-unit, and relevant activity of other, non-department automation systems administrators [Primo Technical Administrator and back up Alma General Administrator within Metadata & Discovery Services].
- Recommends personnel actions of staff and ensures employees receive appropriate mentoring, training, supervision, and support to excel in their jobs.
- Communicates and interacts appropriately, effectively, and positively.
Collaboration & Communication
- Communicates frequently and effectively with all University staff, faculty, and administrators in a timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other necessary information.
- Maintains a helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all library customers internal and external.
- Represents the Library nationally, and acts as primary liaison between vendors and library system users, and the Libraries.
- Participates in committees and teams within and outside the Libraries to provide services to the Libraries, University, and the Community. Leads monthly Ex Libris Coordinating Council meetings, and attends Functional Group meetings. Serves as alternate UML representative to the University’s Information Technology Leadership Committee.
- Undertakes special projects as needed and assigned; Performs other duties as needed.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program, Information Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience in information technology management, including administration of library automation systems such as Alma, Primo, or other ILS platforms, in a medium to large research library or similar organization.
- Experience developing and/or supporting solutions for library workflows (digital publishing, document delivery, cataloging, interlibrary loan, etc.) and an understanding of the application of technology to scholarship and teaching.
- Familiarity with existing and emerging metadata standards, models, applications, and initiatives, such as BIBFRAME, EAD, RDF, XML, Dublin Core, OAI-PmHand linked data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends related to information technology
- Successful experience with project management and project assessment, including ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Supervisory experience and experience working with budgets.
- Strong public or customer service skills, working independently and collaboratively with both IT and Libraries staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to explain technical issues or provide technical instruction to individuals with diverse technological proficiency.
- Familiarity working with server operating systems, preferably UNIX and/or Linux.
- Evidence of leadership skills and innovative management with a strong commitment to fostering growth and development in others.
- Knowledge of user authentication/authorization protocols, including CAS, Shibboleth, and LDAP.
- Experience with the implementation of third-party applications into library systems.
- Experience preparing statistics and reports to help administrators and groups make data-informed decisions.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Unversity of Miami Libraries Otto G. Richter Library
- Job Location:
- Southeast Florida
- Otto G. Richter Library
- Address 2:
- 1300 Memorial Dr.
- Coral Gables
- Institution Name :
- University of Miami Libraries
- 1300 Memorial Drive
- Coral Gables
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Cheryl Gowing
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. Applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. Materials should be combined in one .pdf file, and uploaded when prompted for one’s Resume/CV (5MB max).
Apply at: https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMFaculty/job/Coral-Gables-FL/Librarian-Assoc-Professor_R100032283
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
View the full position description and more information about living and working in Miami at: https://www.library.miami.edu/workhere/index.html