Job: Librarian, Youth Services/Young Adult
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian, Youth Services/Young Adult
- Number position available:
- $39,863.72 - $70,758.22
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Lee County Library System, a dynamic, forward thinking organization, is offering enthusiastic, community-minded candidates the opportunity to become a part of the team at the Bonita Springs Public Library As a Youth Services/Young Adult Librarian, you will have a positive impact on our community and help shape the future by providing programs and other library services to children and teens. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enthusiastically embraces public library service and demonstrates a positive attitude, good judgment, and a commitment to teamwork.
The person in this position is one of a team who delivers day-to-day service in a branch library and who will work with the branch manager and other library staff to prepare the collection and manage the transition to a new building which is scheduled to open in the summer of 2019.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide stellar customer service by assisting patrons of all ages using Library resources and services, including computers, electronic resources, reference and readers' advisory.
- Maintain a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the children's and teen's collection through weeding, selection, and displays.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in readers' advisory to children and teens .
- May be assigned to participate in branch specific and system-wide committees.
- Present tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons
- May be in charge of the library for specific days or shifts.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Plan and present programs and activities for children and teens at the library and at outreach locations.
- May supervise paraprofessional personnel.
- Develop and maintain communication and contacts with nearby primary schools and community organizations that serve children.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills is preferred.
- Ability to deliver an exemplary customer experience is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team is preferred.
- Ability to learn and adopt new and emerging technologies is preferred.
- Ability to analyze the needs of the community and to plan, develop and conduct appropriate programs for targeted groups is preferred.
- Ability to engage community partners in the promotion of library programs is preferred.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
This position requires 80 Hours Bi-Weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an Emergency as needed. During an Emergency, employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, LICENSING
- Requires a Master's Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association or the ability to obtain this degree within 6 months of hire.
- Requires one year library or closely related experience.
- Experience with planning and presenting programs to children and teens is preferred.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Possession of a valid Florida driver's license with an acceptable driving record is preferred.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Bonita Springs Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 26876 Pine Avenue
- Bonita Springs
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Brenda Skiba
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at http://www.leegov.com/hr/jobsearch or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Fort Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.