The City is seeking a trustworthy, responsible individual who, under direction, will perform professional administrative and technical public library work, classifying, cataloging, and maintaining books and materials, performing reference work, planning and implementing special services, and assisting the general public.
Work will be performed independently according to prescribed procedures. This position is supervisory in nature and the employee’s recommendations on subordinate personnel decisions, including hiring and firing, carry particular weight in the decision making process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Directs, supervises and initiates personnel actions for assigned subordinates; conducts performance evaluations on subordinate personnel;
· Assists in planning and making recommendations on policies and procedures within assigned areas;
· Assists in the planning and implementation of departmental goals and objectives;
· Assists with the preparation, monitoring and maintenance of a budget within assigned areas;
· Analyzes and evaluates data, creates and maintains records and reports, as required;
· Remains abreast of developments in the library profession by reading professional journals, attending workshops and conventions, as required;
· Speaks and serves as a liaison for civic, educational and other interested groups.
· performs the following additional duties involving the management of all library services to youth;
· Plans and implements special programs and services;
· Coordinates programs for toddlers, young adults and teens per schedule approved by supervisor;
· Reads and reviews new books and makes recommendations for acquisition of books and materials within assigned area;
· Orders and catalogs books and materials;
· Assists patrons with Online Public Catalog and reference tools;
· Writes and produces media releases, brochures, posters and displays for special programs;
· Provides in-reference service for the children's section;
· Performs other related duties as required.
· Works with public services staff in determining best placement of materials in library;
· Assists in adult reference duties, as required;
· Performs other related duties as required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Assists the City in the preparation for and aftermath of a major emergency such as a hurricane or other storm or disaster; other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills –
Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of library science; knowledge of modern English, spelling and mathematics; extensive knowledge of reader interest levels, books and authors; Extensive knowledge of the behavior and needs of children and youth of a variety of age levels
Ability to plan and implement library programs and special events (Youth/Adult Services Librarian); ability to plan, organize and direct the activities of others; ability to express oneself clearly and concisely in verbal and written form; ability to assemble, organize and analyze data findings and report them in the context of oral or written reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working, advisory and consulting relationships with clubs, community groups, public officials and professional colleagues and the general public; ability to remain at a city work shelter, before, during and after a hurricane or other storm or disaster, if asked.
Working Hours- Rotating shifts from 9am/11am to 6pm/8pm; including some Saturday shifts.
Physical Demands –
This is primarily sedentary work with some periods of light physical effort. Requires walking short distances; sitting for long periods of time; standing, reaching and bending; occasional lifting up to 35 pounds and occasional carrying/pushing/pulling up to 35 pounds; good finger/hand dexterity and hand/eye coordination; good eyesight, hearing and speech; driving a vehicle, as needed.
Salary Range – $37,380.42 - $57,037.37/yr; EXCELLENT benefits (Note: Benefit information is posted on city website at www.eustis.org, or call Human Resources at 352-483-5472). Applicants should expect a starting salary of $37,380.42 /yr. Only applicants with the most job-related qualifications will be selected for interview and further consideration. Additional consideration may be given to applicants with more extensive education, training, or experience. Final candidates may be required to pass a drug test and are offered a conditional offer of employment contingent upon satisfactory results of a thorough background check including criminal history & driver’s license check.
CLOSING DATE: October 4, 2019
HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT CITY OF EUSTIS
P.O. Drawer 68 (109-A E Orange Ave)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER Eustis, FL 32727-0068
Florida Drug Free Workplace FAX – 352-483-0492
Veterans Preference Employer E-Mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT: The City of Eustis is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, examination, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, marital status, age, national origin, citizenship, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. The City provides Veteran’s Preference per FS 295.07. When a preference-eligible applicant receives notice of a hiring decision and believes that he or she was not afforded employment preference in accordance with applicable Florida law and regulation, the applicant may file a written complaint requesting an investigation to the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Benefits and Assistance, 9500 Bay Pines Blvd., Room 214, St. Petersburg, Florida 33708. Such complaint shall be filed within 60 calendar days from the date that the notice is received by the preference-eligible applicant pursuant to Sections 120.569 and 120.57, F.S. Applicants claiming Veteran’s Preference must complete a City of Eustis application identifying themselves as an eligible veteran and submit FDVA form VP-1, VP-2, or VP-3 along with documentation, as soon as possible (contact HR for forms). The City encourages applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation to the extent provided by law. If accommodation is needed for applicant testing, please inform the City, prior to the testing date.
Applications must be received or postmarked no later than 12:00 midnight on the closing date. The City may close positions that are posted with an “Open” closing date at any time, without prior notice. Applications available via email, please email email@example.com to request an application. Printed applications available in person at 109-A East Orange Ave, Eustis, office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday. For more information, please visit Human Resources at www.eustis.org or call us at 352-483-5472. Under Fla. Law, all application materials are public record and subject to public scrutiny.
Minimum Qualifications -
Master's Degree in Library Science or Information Studies from an ALA accredited school; supplemented by two (2) years professional public library experience; experience with automated systems and Internet required. Valid Florida Driver's License with an acceptable driving record is required.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Please send professional resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.