General Definition of Work:
Performs responsible professional work in a public library environment. Work is performed under regular supervision of the Library Administrator. Includes coordination of full range of public services; Limited supervision is exercised over part-time Library Clerks. Assumes oversight of daily operation in collaboration with other Librarian in absence of Library Administrator. Ability to accommodate flexible work schedule which will include some evening and weekend assignments.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
Provides expertise in youth services and collection development for juvenile literature/collections. Assists patrons in full range of standard, user-centered public services. Excels in program design, presentation, and promotion for various audiences, including community outreach activities. Understands operation of and instructs in the applications of various technologies relevant to library environment. Demonstrates effective supervisory and communication skills. Maintains records; prepares reports as assigned.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
· Plans and coordinates public services, including circulation, reference and extensive patron support with various technologies and e-resources
· Schedules public desk service; makes adjustments as needed
· Limited supervision of part-time Library Clerks with primary assignments in public service delivery
· Selects, organizes, and leads maintenance of Juvenile and Young Adult materials in all formats
· Serves assigned hours in all public service Circulation functions, frontline technical assistance, reader’s advisory, and reference assistance. Provides expertise in age-appropriate use of materials by young users and parents
· Plans, organizes, schedules, and oversees all programming in collaboration with Library Administrator, to include special events, exhibits/ displays, and coordination of Library’s participation in PPLC county-wide programs
· Is responsible for tracking Youth-related expenditures for materials and programming
· Develops publicity and PR strategies for promoting programming, collections and services, with special attention to community outreach, all audiences
· Participates in strategic planning, policy development, and budget proposals
· Understands technical processes to ensure youth collections are accessible to readers
· Leads special projects as assigned
· Collects and compiles information and assists in formulation of special reports as required
· Participates in PPLC Special Interest Groups, as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
General knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation; general knowledge of reader interest levels and reference services; thorough knowledge of children’s and other library services; general knowledge of library automated systems, software, and their applications and related technologies; demonstrated skills in supervision and organizational management; ability to collect, analyze and present data in useful reports; ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library patrons, co-workers, colleagues, officials, community residents, etc. Demonstrated resourcefulness in staying abreast of trends, patterns, innovation in Library-related operations, services, and facilities and envisioning local and regional application.
Education and Experience:
Required: A college degree; also a graduate degree from an ALA- accredited college or university with major course work in library and information science. Desired: Some professional library experience; familiarity with juvenile literature and programming, studies or experience in effective supervision/management.
Physical address where the job position is located.