Job: Library Systems Manager
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Systems Manager
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Networking & Automation
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Fort Myers Beach Public Library is looking for a Library Systems Manager to provide technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for traditional and emerging library software solutions and standards. This position will use a variety of technologies, along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to provide the best possible experience for library patrons and staff as they seek, access, and maintain the information in our library systems. This will include first-line support as well as maintenance and implementation in a broad range of systems.
- Installs, configures, and maintains the network
- Installs, configures, maintains and troubleshoots hardware and software for staff and public workstations, following up with vendor support staff if necessary.
- Schedules and manages maintenance procedures
- Evaluates software and hardware and prepares recommendations for purchase.
- Provides in-service training for the use of hardware and software as appropriate.
- Troubleshoots technical problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Responds to technical emergencies off-hours.
- Develops and implements technology plans.
- Develops, documents and implements network administration policies and processes.
- Ensures system integrity, reliability, responsiveness, security and compliance with library policies, e.g., Internet use.
- Maintains a regular backup schedule and off-site backup storage.
- Documents workstation changes, configuration, fixes, and maintenance.
- Designs, develops, implements, and maintains the library’s website, creating content for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, for example).
- Monitors server logs and events.
- Explores new and emerging technologies and advises on tools that may aid in the promotion and delivery of library resources and instruction.
- Develops and documents internal processes and procedures that support Library systems and services.
- Ensures systems documentation is updated and compliant, ensures systems security support, ensures established HTML5/CSS standards are consistently implemented on all library websites, and ensures Section 508 accessibility requirements and compliance on library websites.
- Administers Microsoft solutions, an active directory domain, group policies, remote desktop terminal services, firewalls, backups, content filtering.
- Tracks, develops, and maintains usage metrics/analytics for online products and services used by library and report monthly.
- Learns new and emerging technologies.
- Understands and utilizes IT best practices.
- Provides and understands services to the mobile user, including use of mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), scanning barcodes from mobile devices, library apps, mobile websites, and social media including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Demonstrates understanding of client/server environment, and experience with software applications needed to administer application environments. This may include Microsoft Windows Server, UNIX/Linux.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with Windows, Android, and iOS operating systems
- Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with DHCP, DNS, and TCP-IP, as well as PC imaging software, server and PC virtualization.
- Understands wireless technologies
- Interprets needs and design/create/recommend appropriate working software solutions according to library needs
- Reads and understands technical manuals and online documentation
- Understands computer specifications
- Possesses accurate keyboarding skills
- Willingness to explore and research solutions to computer problems as they arise.
- Administers and configures the Library's integrated library system, comprised of system administration, security, users, profiles, policies, circulation, cataloging, and statistical data reporting.
- Manages new releases and the implementation of new features. Reads and distributes release notes.
- Trains staff on changes in software and procedures.
· Serves as primary technical liaison with ILS vendor, TLC
· Troubleshoots hardware and software problems with the Library.Solutions system, TechLogic conveyor and other smart library solutions such as RFID-based self-check
· Works collaboratively with other librarians to develop and periodically review circulation policies and ILS policies.
- Provides exceptional customer services and displays professional business decorum in all interactions with guests and fellow staff.
- Possesses effective communication, interpersonal, organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills with an ability to work with a widely diverse group of people.
- Communicates technical topics to novices effectively and easily.
- Tactfully interacts with and responds to staff and patron technical problems
· Assists with configuration and maintenance of the phone system.
· Understands, and carries out, library policy and procedures.
- Provides support for Crestron audiovisual system for FMBPL meeting room, including setup and takedown of AV equipment such as laptops, digital camera, and digital projector.
- Manages other automated systems including HVAC, door system, etc.
- Maintains and increases knowledge and skills through attendance at meetings, conferences, training seminars, and in-service training sessions
- Manages the Federal e-rate program
- Works effectively in a team setting and independently in a changing environment and to accept direction from one’s supervisor.
- Possesses troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Performs other job-related duties and projects as assigned
- Works and communicates effectively with library management and staff.
- Possesses excellent oral, written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses strong analytical and technical problem-solving skills.
- Provides flexibility in an environment of changing priorities and technologies.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Prepares accurate and complete reports
- Possesses the ability to spend extended time at a keyboard/monitor
- Possesses the ability to organize workload and multi-task effectively.
- Possesses the ability to work neatly, pay attention to detail, and follow directions.
- Possesses the ability to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl and lift and handle a minimum of 50 lbs.
Ideal candidates must possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Sciences or cognate field required.
- Demonstrated commitment to service and professional development.
- Master of Library Science from an American Library Association accredited library school and previous library work experience preferred.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Fort Myers Beach Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 2755 Estero BLVD
- Fort Myers Beach
- Institution Name :
- Fort Myers Beach Public Library
- 2755 Estero BLVD
- Fort Myers Beach
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- John Lukow
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Interested applicants must submit a letter of interest and resume detailing work, education, and training experiences to email@example.com.