- Principal Librarian
- Number position available:
- $55,813.95 - $108,921.80 Annually
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Lee County Library System, a dynamic, forward thinking organization, is offering enthusiastic, community-minded candidates the opportunity to become a part of the team at the South County Regional Library. As Principal Librarian you will plan and administer a balanced program of public library services and will supervise and evaluate staff, assuring proper workflow and staff scheduling, making recommendations about budgetary needs, preparing reports and presentations as needed, and managing the daily operation and upkeep of a fast paced regional library facility and surrounding grounds. This position is directly responsible for supervising a staff of twenty employees in a rapidly growing community. South County Regional Library is located in a fast growing area of Lee County that serves a diverse population. The library moved into its current facility in 1996 and is scheduled for an upgrade and redesign.
The expected hiring salary range for this position is $55,813.94 - $76,932.44.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Relate positively to a diverse population, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and assist the public directly as an active member of the public service team at the branch.
- Use considerable independent judgment and initiative along with established policies and procedures to assure a competent staff and high quality service to the public.
- Interact productively with staff from library administration, library processing, and other branches.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures.
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Work effectively with the Friends of the Library and other community groups.
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association and four years of progressively responsible experience as a professional librarian in a public library system or a department or division of a main library.
- Prefer a master's degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the Amerian Library Association.
- Prefer at least 5 years related library experience.
- Prefer at least four years supervisory experience.
- Florida driver's license is required.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of print and online sources and procedures used in reference and bibliographic research.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, procedures and techniques of library science and library administration and management.
- Knowledge of a variety of reading interests of patrons of different ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to make recommendations to supervisors about budgetary needs, which may include Capital Improvement Plan and grant funds.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of professional and clerical personnel.
- Ability to become proficient with existing technology systems, software and computer equipment used by the library system, adapt to new technology developments and changes, and learn teaching skills to assist patrons with technology.
- Ability to share new resources with staff and the public.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
This position requires 80 Hours Bi-Weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an Emergency as needed. During an Emergency, employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- South County Regional Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 21100 Three Oaks Parkway
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Brenda Skiba
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.