Job: Senior Librarian, Head of Reference
Go back to All Jobs
- Senior Librarian, Head of Reference
- Number position available:
- $46,833.02 - $59,000.24 Annually
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Lee County Library System, a dynamic, forward thinking organization, is offering enthusiastic, community-minded candidates the opportunity to become a part of the team at either the Northwest Regional Library or the South County Regional Library. As Senior Librarian, Head of Reference you will work primarily with adults but have daily interaction with and provide library services to children and teens as well. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enthusiastically embraces public library service and demonstrates a positive attitude, good judgement, and a commitment to teamwork.
As the Senior Librarian, Head of Reference at the Northwest Regional Library you will be supervising a team of three librarians and one reference associate to provide reference services primarily to adults. Since the library is located between Mariner High School and Mariner Middle School, you will also have daily interaction with and provide library services to children and teens.
As the Senior Librarian, Head of Reference at the South County Regional Library, you will be supervising a team of three librarians and one reference associate. South County Regional Library has very seasonal patrons, but it is located in one of the fastest growing areas of Lee County and is expected to become a busy year-round library in the near future. The library moved to its current facility in 1996 and is scheduled for an upgrade and redesign.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise staff and volunteers and coordinate workflow for effective service delivery.
- Use considerable independent judgment and initiative along with established policies and procedures to assure a competent staff and high quality service to the public.
- Provide stellar customer service by assisting patrons of all ages using Library resources and services, including computers, electronic resources, reference and readers’ advisory.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in readers’ advisory to adults.?Oversee a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the collections through selection, weeding, and displays.
- Participate in branch specific and system-wide committees as assigned.
- Present tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons
- May be in charge of the library for specific days or shifts.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Interact productively with staff from library administration, library processing, and other branches.
- Coordinate a variety of programming and activities to encourage positive use of the library by children and teens.
- Plan and present programs and activities for adults at the library and at outreach locations.
- Relate positively to a diverse population, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and assist the public directly as an active member of the public service team at the branch.
- Work effectively with the Library Friends group and other community groups.
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association and two years of progressively responsible experience as a professional librarian.
- Prefer a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Prefer three year(s) related library experience.
- Prefer two year(s) supervisory experience.
- Experience with planning and presenting programs to adults is preferred.
- Must have knowledge of current professional public library principles, methods, and practices, relevant computer applications, literature for various ages, and have the ability to supervise and direct the work of others.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience and the ability to work independently is preferred.
- Ability to deliver an exemplary customer experience is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team is preferred.
- Ability to learn and adopt new and emerging technologies is preferred.
- Ability to analyze the needs of the community and to plan, develop and conduct appropriate programs for targeted groups is preferred.
- Ability to engage community partners in the promotion of library programs is preferred.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Northwest Regional Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 519 Chiquita Blvd N
- Cape Coral
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Debbie West
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.