Job: University Archivist
Go back to All Jobs
- University Archivist
- Number position available:
- Commensurate with experience
- Job Category:
- Special Collections
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The University Archivist is responsible for managing the archival records of the university and related activities: acquisition, accessioning, processing, arrangement and description, preservation, and providing access to the records, both online and on-site. This position also manages the Special Collections of the Evans Library. The University Archivist works with departments, faculty, staff, and students on campus and with alumni and professors emeriti off campus, to preserve and share the university's history, promote the collections and raise awareness of the University Archives on campus and in the wider community. The University Archivist is responsible for collaborating with local, state, and national organizations, staying up to date on new developments and best practices, and representing Florida Tech in the community.
Plans for, implements, and manages archival collections, projects, activities, and programs, including the acquisition of new materials.
- Supervises arrangement and description of collections according to national standards; develops tools and provides training on archival subjects and methods; participates in instructional activities.
- Provides reference services to researchers on campus and in the community; provides access to the collections remotely, online, and on-site; conducts historical research.
- Consults with departments and faculty on records management, archiving, and preservation issues; implements schedule of regular transfer of records to the archives from departments.
- Leads the planning and implementation of digitization projects and digital access methods, including selection of materials and defining protocols.
- Represents the Archives on campus, regionally, and nationally through involvement in professional associations and at related conferences and programs, maintains professional memberships; participates in professional
- ALA-accredited MLS with specialization in archives administration, archival studies, or a related field. Certification by the Academy of Certified Archivists (ACA) is highly desired.
- At least two years of experience working in a university archive.
- Demonstrated expertise in accessioning or processing archival and manuscript materials, both analog and born-digital.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects, both independently and with teams.
- Experience with relevant technology platforms associated with special and archival collections (e.g., ArchivesSpace, DSpace, Omeka).
- Knowledge of and experience with national descriptive standards such as EAD, DACS, MARC, and Dublin Core.
- Knowledge of copyright, rights management, records restrictions, and legal and ethical issues affecting the privacy of archival materials.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and best practices associated with archives.
- Commitment to excellent customer service in conducting reference interviews and providing archives & special collections reference.
- Consistent accuracy and attention to detail while maintaining a high level of productivity
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, written, and oral communication skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience planning exhibits and/or engaging in outreach.
- Experience with university records management.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Florida Institute of Technology, Evans Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- Evans Library
- Address 2:
- 150 W. University Blvd.
- Institution Name :
- Florida Institute of Technology
- 150 W. University Blvd.
- Address 2:
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Mary Barker
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
To apply for this position please visit https://floridatech.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/FloridaTechCareers/job/Florida-Tech-Main-Campus-Melbourne/Archivist_R528
Please attach the following when applying:
(1) A detailed cover letter addressing how your experience matches the qualifications
(2) A curriculum vitae
(3) Names and contact information, including email and phone number, of at least three references