Job: Librarian I Youth
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian I Youth
- Number position available:
- $40,657 - $66,342
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
- Class Title
- Librarian I - Youth Services
- Class Code
- 35630 (Y)
- $40,657.00 - $66,342.00 Annually
- Salary Disclosure/General Description
Starting Salary: $40,657.00
Pay Grade: P35
Current Pasco County Employees: Please refer to the Personnel Policy & Procedure Manual for starting salary information.
Department: Library Services
General Description: Professional library work responsible for providing reference, reader's advisory, programming, and outreach services for youth and young adults in the County library system.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: All employees will be required to work before, during, or after an emergency. During an emergency, employees may temporarily be assigned to work and perform duties outside the normal scope of their position, location and work schedule to fit the needs of the County and its citizens.
- Essential Job Functions
Receives requests for information. Assists citizens with in-person, telephone, and online inquiries. Resolves questions and problems. Provides reference and readers advisory services to children, teens, and adults. Provides bibliographic instruction, including the automated library system and all other technologies, to patrons, volunteers, and visiting groups. Consults and works with branch manager on hiring, training, directing, and evaluating work of branch staff. May serve as lead supervisor in branch manager's absence or as directed. Develops and implements library programming and outreach for children and teens. Coordinates with schools and other agencies to provide in-library tours. Assists with collection development by recommending titles, authors, subjects, and genres. Performs collection management functions per established guidelines. Designs and presents storytimes and book talks in the library and in outreach locations, including schools, daycare centers, parks and recreation centers, and other agencies. Coordinates the Summer Reading Program and teen volunteer program. Maintains records and statistics. Participates in training and continuing education.
Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of professional public library service and operations.
- Knowledge of current trends in children's and young adult services.
- Knowledge of juvenile and young adult materials.
- Knowledge of standard library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of current technologies, and ability to instruct library patrons and staff.
- Ability to learn and apply complex automated procedures and to utilize computer equipment, software, and new technologies in performance of day-to-day work.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and manuals, and to apply such instruction to work situations.
- Ability to learn and apply complex policies and procedures, and make decisions within the framework of the stated policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, supervisors, and the public in both oral and written formats.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to changes in the library environment.
- Ability to interpret library policies and procedures to the public.
- Ability to utilize business mathematics and business English.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Ability to coordinate and supervise the work of assigned staff and volunteers.
- Ability to use judgment in performing library duties.
- Ability to supervise branch operations in branch manager's absence.
- One year of library experience preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Minimum Requirements
PHYSICAL SKILLS: Ability to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds and also push or pull heavy objects. May use a handling device (dolly, cart, etc.) or work with another team member to lift and/or move excessively heavy objects. Job requires extended periods of walking, standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and reaching. Ability to communicate effectively using verbal, written, and visual communication.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Must possess a Master's Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS: Possession of a valid driver's license.
ADA STATEMENT: A qualified employee or applicant with a disability may be afforded a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential job functions of a position in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: Pasco County BOCC is a drug-free workplace in accordance with Federal and Florida law.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Under Section 295.07, F.S., Chapter SSA-7, Pasco County BCC provides to Veterans, that preference in appointment will be given to preference-eligible applicants.
PASCO COUNTY WAS VOTED ONE OF THE NATION'S TOP WORK PLACES FOR 2021
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Trinity and Hudson
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 8012 Library Road
- Institution Name :
- Trinity and Hudson
- 8012 Library Road
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Sandy Geiger
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
TO BE CONSIDERED, YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE AT PASCOCOUNTYFL.NET