Job: Head of Library Collections
Go back to All Jobs
- Head of Library Collections
- Number position available:
- Based on experience
- Job Category:
- Collection Management
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
AdventHealth University, a Seventh-day Adventist institution, specializes in the education of professionals in healthcare. Service-oriented and guided by the values of nurture, excellence, spirituality, and stewardship, the University seeks to develop leaders who will practice healthcare as a ministry.
Head of Library Collections is a full-time non-tenure faculty librarian position reporting to the Library Director. The Head of Library Collections is a self-directed, user-oriented health sciences librarian who possesses the expertise, organization skills, and management skills to lead the library team in building collections that supports the teaching, research, and mission of the University. The primary role of the Head of Library Collections is to develop and maintain the libraries physical and electronic collections, including special and archival collections. The collections include health sciences collections, general education collections, and collections to support the mission of the University.
The Head of Library Collections oversees each phase of building and maintaining collections of resources. This librarian in this position will identify vendors, trial electronic resources, negotiate terms and prices, make print and electronic resources discoverable online, troubleshoot access issues, evaluate resources via usage statistics, relevance, and other factors to determine whether to keep or remove them, and manage the deselection and withdrawal processes.
As part of a small, integrated library team, the Head of Library Collections also works with other library staff to provide individual and group instruction (including classroom instruction) on library research skills in concert with other librarians and serves as a liaison to university departments. The Head of Library Collections actively participates in outstanding customer service, models the AHU Service standards, and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates behaviors at AdventHealth University in harmony with AHU’s “Four Words” of Nurture, Excellence, Spirituality, and Stewardship as well as AdventHealth’s Performance Standards of “Keep Me Safe, Love Me, Make it Easy, and Own It.”
- Effectively manages collection development/management functions and operations, assuring the high quality and ongoing excellence of library collections. This process involves creating budgets, policies, procedures, priorities, and goals, as well as coordinating workflows, staffing, training, and special projects.
- Conducts environmental scans and assesses the collections needs, using data and other analyses, of the AdventHealth University community; creates and implements plans to select and deselect materials regularly.
- Provides leadership in the recommendation and application of new technologies related to collection development/management.
- Coordinates with vendors and the Head of Cataloging to acquire bibliographic records meeting appropriate standards for library resources.
- Ensures that resources are discoverable via the library’s discovery layer and other web platforms and works with the Digital Services Librarian to troubleshoot access issues.
- Reviews, negotiates, and obtains license agreements that meet best practices standards and that will provide the highest quality product for the best possible terms. Works with various library consortia and organizations to participate in group purchasing when advantageous.
- Provides collections reports for university accreditation and program reviews.
- Ensures that there are current and relevant works by Seventh-day Adventist and other Christian authors to support the curriculum and for personal spiritual development.
- Actively participates on committees as assigned, including chair of library collection development meetings.
- Performs library research instruction as needed, including group and individual instruction in-person and via chat, phone, e-mail, or online screen-sharing platforms.
- Functions as a library liaison to AHU departments, as assigned.
- Is actively involved in library professional service.
- Actively participates in ongoing continuing education, including credentialing in the Association of Health Sciences Professionals (AHIP).
- Conducts ongoing engagement in scholarship and research activities appropriate to faculty rank.
- Performs other library duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- American Library Association-recognized master’s degree in library and information science.
- Three years of professional library experience in academic or health sciences libraries.
- Two years of successful collection development and collection management experience with health sciences resources.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- Five years of professional library experience in academic or health sciences libraries.
- An additional graduate degree in a health or life sciences field.
- Two years of experience with health sciences media collection management and development, including licensing and purchase of streaming videos.
- Experience coordinating access to electronic resources for local and remote users and troubleshooting access issues.
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) credentialing.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Possess collection development expertise in selection/deselection and management of academic library resources, including books, videos, and serials, especially in health sciences collections.
- Able to develop collections budgets, reports, and needs assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with vendors.
- Familiar with COUNTER 5 and other electronic resource usage report standards.
- Knowledge of issues and trends in academic library collection development.
- Proficient with technologies used in library and instructional settings. Able to work effectively with integrated library systems, archival management systems, and digital collections.
- Able to troubleshoot electronic resource access issues and batch upload/download MARC record updates.
- Able to teach library research skills in individual and group settings.
- Able to manage multiple projects and set priorities.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, planning, project management and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong level of creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Highly flexible. Embraces change and is comfortable initiating new practices or services.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
- Proficient in the use of medical terminology.
- Outstanding customer service orientation and the ability to model the AHU Service Standards.
- Models professional Christian values and is willing to participate in workplace spiritual activities, such as praying or giving a devotional presentation.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
- Collection development knowledge of Seventh-day Adventist authors and publication.
- Working knowledge of the SirsiDynix Symphony integrated library system.
- Proficient with the Springshare LibGuides and Linksters platforms.
- Knowledge of issues and trends specific to electronic serials management.
- Familiar with discover layers, link resolvers, proxy servers, and other platforms and tools that facilitate discover of and access to electronic resources.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- R.A. Williams Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 671 Winyah Dr
- Institution Name :
- AdventHealth University
- 671 Winyah Dr
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Neal Smith
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Submit an application, CV, and two letters of recommendation from professional references through the AdventHealth Careers website.