Reports to the department head, contribute to department goals and strategic objectives, sets priorities, timelines for user-centric initiatives. Promotes service enterprises that support research endeavors and educational programs at the University of Florida. Provides staff development opportunities to the Libraries by offering outreach workshops on interlibrary loan services. Works with high level of authority and independence, oversees and administers policies and procedures concerning workflows and workloads to accomplish efficiency within the unit and refines procedures to meet productivity goals. Maintains working relationships with OCLC (ILLiad), Rapid, the National Library of Medicine's interlibrary loan (ILL) request routing system DOCLINE, Medical library Association (MLA) Electronic Fund Transfer System (EFTS) vendors, to resolve system issues and improve procedural operations. Serves on the Access and Resource Sharing Committee Steering Teaming to centralize policies and procedures in the library system for interlibrary loan functions. Participate in the state and Smathers Libraries ALMA/Primo Resource Sharing module. Planning and Implementation, document workflow and procedure. Manages copyright law compliance and fair use guidelines as applied to Interlibrary Loan processing procedures, consults with Scholarly Communications Librarian as necessary. Monitors ILL invoices and works with Fiscal Services Office to resolve invoicing problems. At state level, participates in Florida Virtual Campus Library (FLVC) Resource Sharing Discussion Group meetings to receive training and secure effective procedures for mediated and unmediated resource sharing functions. Implements and manages ongoing State and Regional Resource Sharing programs.
To support all students, staff and faculty, and foster excellence in a diverse and collaborative society, the Libraries are actively seeking candidates who bring culturally-rich lived experiences to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and perspectives.
Management of Interlibrary Loan Unit
- Oversees processing operations of the Interlibrary Loan unit.
- Recommends new and improved programs and workflow that effectively improve operation efficiency thus providing materials to the end user in a timely manner.
- Performs complex problem solving in relation to Interlibrary Loan service.
- Manages and processes the ILLiad Extensive Search queue, performs intricate database searching to fill interlibrary loan requests.
- Fields complex/unusual problems concerning patron issues when accessing and using ILL platforms and service. Performs liaison role communicating with regional, national and international academic libraries to resolve issues about lost items, invoice charges, or payment issues.
- Performs outreach presentations offering an overview of Inter Library Loan services in Smathers Libraries.
- Liaises with branch library User Service unit to standardize Interlibrary Loan practices and provide training when necessary.
- Acts as the primary contact for issues with consortia (consortium) resource sharing UBorrow program, making sure all staff are aware of standard practices; contacts Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative (FALSC) to resolve problems.
- Serves on FALSC discussion group to coordinate interlibrary loan functions with state-wide consortia members.
- Acts as resource to teaching faculty and students in establishing or accessing ILLiad accounts and providing user friendly documentation.
- Creates and presents outreach training in system use and conveys prevailing copyright compliance guidelines to teaching faculty.
- Submits invoices to the library fiscal services office to initiate copyright royalty payments.
- Monitors expenditures for copyright royalties and reports regularly to the head of Access and Resource Sharing about these expenditures.
- Contributes to the Smathers Libraries ILS Planning and Implementation Task Force to support training and documentation of access services processes.
- Serves on Access and Resource Sharing Committee and its Steering Team to further coordinate and streamline library-wide access services.
Management of Staff Personnel
- Hires, trains, and processes payroll for 5 FTE department staff in Interlibrary Loan Unit.
- Monitors workloads and evaluates performance and progress toward achieving department and divisional goals and objectives.
- Promotes staff development for Interlibrary Loan unit member by setting individual development goals and by identifying appropriate training opportunities.
- Provides cross-training throughout the units to ensure consistent coverage of Resource Sharing services.
- Ensures staff deliver exceptional customer service.
- Interprets library policy for special circumstances.
- Working closely with the department head, plans, develops, and delivers responsive and innovative service initiatives to provide more effective delivery of resources to the University’s faculty, staff, and students.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies and demonstrates skill in usage and applicable features to recommend implementation to enhance resource sharing services.
- Serves on committees as a representative and spokesman for services provided by Interlibrary Loan unit as appropriate.
- Working with department head, developing and implementing a campus document delivery program to improve user’s experience of using interlibrary.
- Supports Interlibrary Loan Unit staff in monitoring phone calls, responding to patron problems, and resolving problematic interlibrary loan requests.
- Creates or updates ILLiad templates to simplify and standardize customer communication and encourage good customer protocol.
- Provides detailed information about services by telephone or in person; explains rationale for library actions in difficult patron situations.
- Responds to complex problems dealing with resource access and copyright compliance issues; interprets CONTU (Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works) Guidelines as applied to resource sharing activities.
- Provides outreach to patrons concerning application of copyright laws when copying library materials
- Interprets library policy for unique circumstances regarding resource sharing programs.
- Collaborates with circulation staff to ensure smooth handling of consortium unmediated borrowing and lending program requests.
- Instructs new staff on consortium unmediated borrowing and lending program procedures.
Initiative Development and Problem Solving
- Creates policies, documents procedures, and devises workflows related to Interlibrary Loan service.
- Working with the Access and Resource Sharing head, communicates access policies and procedures to staff library-wide.
- Directs maintenance of the interlibrary loan policies and procedures on Access and Resource Sharing website.
- Documents and communicates new or revised policies and procedures to appropriate library-wide staff through email, and training sessions.
- Creates information technology documentation and training materials to support ALMA /Primo implementation.
- Assists department head with developing and deploying new services to improve user’s experience of the ILL service.
- Collects data and assists with the preparation of regular statistical reports for the head and Deans, and participates in library special projects as required.
- Recommends changes relating to hardware, software, networks and other supporting infrastructure, user interface/access, library procedures, and service policies that will alleviate problems and address library users’ needs.
Budget Manager for Interlibrary Loan Book On Demand Program
- Collaborates with Acquisitions & Collections Services staff to maintain efficient workflow for Books on Demand, a cooperative initiative with Acquisitions & Collections Services Department for patron driven library purchases; manages budget for purchases ($45,000/FY) and order status within the vendor system.
- Works in partnership with Acquisitions & Collections Services staff to resolve receipt problems to make materials available in a timely manner; creates quarterly reports of purchases and distributes to collection managers.
- Attends classes and workshops to keep aware of changes in vendor policies and procedures.
- Participates in training activities or classes to improve skills or enhance knowledge needed for position including working with other Access and Resource Sharing staff.
- Attends Access and Resource Sharing Committee meetings, communicating with the members concerning documenting resource sharing, and circulation policies and processes as well as coordinating program management for interlibrary loan, document delivery, and Uborrow.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned. Serves on committees as appointed and participates in staff development opportunities
Physical address where the job position is located.