Job: Library Assistant II - Fort White Branch
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Assistant II - Fort White Branch
- Number position available:
- $10.98 per hour plus benefits
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
MAJOR FUNCTION: This is advanced technical/paraprofessional library work. This position may function as a lead worker if required by the department. An employee assigned to this classification is responsible for performing complex technical or paraprofessional duties under general supervision and within established guidelines. Although the employee works with considerable independence, deviations from established library procedures or policy are made in consultation with a Librarian or Branch Manager. Work may also include the responsibility for training and supervising the work of other paraprofessionals or volunteers. Work is performed under the general direction of a higher level Library Assistant, Library Supervisor, Branch Manager or Librarian and is reviewed through conferences, reports and observation of results obtained.
- May function as lead worker or project coordinator on assigned tasks
- Performs circulation and related duties, including borrower registration, checking materials in and out, collecting and recording fines and fees, and taking reserves and interlibrary loan requests
- Provides basic reference service and reader guidance within established guidelines; assists library users in locating materials and information.
- Assists public in use of computers and other library equipment
- Provides general information about the library and interprets library procedures to the public.
- Processes library materials to be added to the collection
- May be assigned to open and close library at designated times
- Assists in search and recovery of library materials; conducts bibliographic searches
- Assists with collection development and recommends materials for purchase
- Repairs library materials and processes gift materials
- Prepares correspondence of a routine nature
- Assists in planning programs and services; designs and produces support materials and displays
- Assists in collection, maintenance and compilation of data as needed for a variety of reports
- Processes interlibrary loan requests
- Presents library programs and conducts tours
- Performs technical tasks such as copy cataloging or maintenance of electronic information services
- Shelves and maintains order of library materials
- Delivers materials or equipment using library vehicle or personal vehicle, if necessary
- Monitors and replenishes supplies form inventory and initiates requisition process
- In two of the small libraries, can function as library supervisor in absence of branch manager
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Office/Library type working conditions but may include travel to day care centers, senior centers and other outreach locations to deliver materials or to assist with programs.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Frequent contacts with others beyond immediate associates, including the general public, contacts generally of a routine nature but may require tact and judgment.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS/DEMANDS:
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
- Extended sitting and standing and intermittent walking, bending, crawling, stooping and kneeling
- Ability to push and/or pull fully loaded hand carts; ability to load and unload materials from carts and vehicles
- Acceptable eyesight and hearing (with or without correction)
- Ability to frequently lift, reach, and bend to locate and remove or reshelve materials
- Ability to occasionally work on a ladder or other elevated surface
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES: Florida driver’s license preferred
HOURS: Up to 40 hours per week, including some nights and weekend days
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of purpose and functions of a public library
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers and customers and to deal effectively with others in person or over the phone
- Considerable knowledge of alphabetical, numerical and library filing systems
- Knowledge of a variety of books, subjects and literature, specifically as related to assigned area
- Some knowledge of the major fields of learning comprising the social sciences, natural sciences and humanities
- Ability to interpret and apply library policies and procedures
- Ability to operate office machines such as cash register, computers, photocopiers, typewriters, calculators, telephones, fax machines, magnification equipment, audiovisual and other equipment
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to relay instructions or information to others
- Ability to handle details accurately
- Ability to work without close supervision and to make decisions within the framework of stated policies and procedures
- Ability to use judgment and tact in carrying out responsibilities
- Ability to type 35 correct words per minutes
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Minimum Experience: High school graduation supplemented by college level course work in library sciences or an AA degree.Three (3) years experience in responsible clerical work including experience in a library may be substituted for AA degree.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Columbia County Public Library - Fort White Branch
- Job Location:
- Northeast Florida
- 17700 SW State Road 47
- Fort White
- Institution Name :
- Columbia County Public Library
- 308 NW Columbia Avenue
- Lake City
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Lisa Roberts
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Each applicant is required to submit a completed County Application for Employment. Successful applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment physical and drug screening.
Visit https://www.columbiacountyfla.com/Jobs.asp for application.
Applications should be submitted to:
Human Resources Office
COLUMBIA COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
Post Office Box 1529
Lake City, Florida 32056-1529
(386)719-2025; TDD (386)758-2139
Applicants for the position of Library Assistant I and Library Assistant II must complete a library skills test. Please make an appointment as soon as possible.
Library Skills Tests will be given at varying times at:
Columbia County Public Library
308 NW Columbia Avenue
Call the Main Library at 758-2101 to schedule an appointment