Performs routine and nonprofessional work in the library such as shelving, processing and maintaining books and other library materials in proper order. Also includes Circulation Desk work and related activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Sorts, alphabetizes, shelves, and retrieves library materials.
• Shelf-reads to ensure materials are in neat and proper order.
• Rearranges or shifts books under recommendation of supervisor.
• Dusts and cleans books as needed.
• Keeps the Library neat and orderly.
• Assists patrons with directional questions, in using the copier, and using the public computers.
• May assist with Library programs, including setting up and arranging furniture.
• Checks in newspapers and periodicals.
• Loads and unloads books from carts, and/or book-drop to be delivered to proper area.
• Performs basic, routine typing and filing tasks.
• Assists children's program presenters in preparation of program materials and maintaining order among program participants.
• Contributes to the overall effectiveness of providing direct service to patrons.
• Serves patrons in a courteous and business-like manner.
• Manages library operations in the absence of the Director and/or supervisor
• Attends meetings as appropriate
• Performs other duties as assigned for the efficient operation of the Library.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma
• Two years library experience
• Post-secondary education, A. A. preferred
• Experience with computers and other common office equipment.
• General computer and keyboarding skills.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to type and file accurately
• Ability to learn basic library computer circulation skills within the six-month probation period
• Ability to learn the specific skills of the assigned position and attend training programs available for the position
• Ability to work pleasantly and knowledgeably with the staff and the public at all age levels
• Ability to give and follow written and oral instructions
• Ability to work independently and make decisions within established guidelines for the position
• Ability to work in a team environment; sound judgment.
• Ability to learn general and library clerical methods and practices.
• Ability to learn the general rules and regulations of the library.
• Ability to learn library circulation procedures.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
• Ability to make minor decisions in accordance with library policies and procedures.
• Ability to assist other staff in various phases of library work.
• Ability to sort and file alphabetically and numerically.
• Ability to read numbers and letters rapidly and accurately.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to maintain composure in stressful work situation.
Physical address where the job position is located.
City of Polk City
Human Resources, Attn: Sheandolen Dunn
123 Broadway Blvd SE
Polk City, Florida 33868
Fax to (863) 984-2334