Job: Librarian, Reference
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian, Reference
- Number position available:
- $39,863.72 - $70,758.22
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
The Lee County Library System is offering enthusiastic and community-minded candidates who are committed to public library service the opportunity to serve as reference librarians in Lee County. Positions are currently available at the Cape Coral and Bonita Springs branch library locations.
As a Reference Librarian, you will work primarily with adults but will also have daily interaction with and provide library services to children and teens. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enthusiastically embraces public library service, relates positively to a diverse population, and demonstrates a commitment to teamwork, sound judgement, and a positive attitude.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide exemplary customer service to the public by assisting patrons of all ages in accessing and utilizing library resources, services and applicable technologies.
- Provide excellent reference and readers’ advisory services, raising awareness and utilization of print, video, audio, and digital content.
- Work effectively, collaboratively, and tactfully with coworkers across departments by sharing information and providing instruction.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate public library programs for an adult audience in accordance with the interest and demographics of the community.
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing in order to provide technology training to staff and patrons, and explain and administer library policies and procedures to both co-workers and library patrons.
- Presenting tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Assignments to represent and to participate in branch specific and system-wide committees, and performing outreach and community engagement activities, in collaboration with the Manager of Programming and Community Outreach, and developing and maintaining relationships with partner organizations.
- Acting as Manager-on-Duty at the branch during specific shifts.
- Supervising paraprofessional staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association or the ability to obtain this degree within 6 months of hire and one year library or closely related experience; or a combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science or a closely related field, such as Certified Media Specialist holding a degree in Education, and one year of library experience.
- Prefer 2 years related library experience.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
- The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
- This position requires 80 hours bi-weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Cape Coral & Bonita Springs Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 921 SW 39th Terrace
- Cape Coral
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Public Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Aric Christensen
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.