Library Systems & Services, LLC (LS&S) is seeking friendly, enthusiastic, and service oriented Library Associate(s) for the Sumter County Library System located in Central Florida. The five Branch locations are; Bushnell Public Library, E.C. Rowell Public Library, Panasoffkee Community Library, The Villages Public Library at Belvedere, and The Villages Public Library at Pinellas Plaza.
HOURS PER WEEK: 40
The Library Associate 3 role is the senior role in the Library Associate job family, and likely is found in large library locations (staff over 20) and may supervise Library Associate 1s and 2s. The primary responsibility is at the circulation desk, providing excellent customer service handling and overseeing the opening of accounts, placing holds, processing interlibrary loans, handling fines, processing lost materials and problem solving patron accounts. A portion of the Library Associate 3 job may also be to plan and facilitate library programs and/or volunteer coordination.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily.
• Provides customer service to patrons by greeting, providing tours and assisting patrons in all areas of the library
• Supervise junior Library Associates which includes managing performance, evaluation, interviewing/hiring, training and approving timesheets
• Work closely with Librarians and library management to plan, implement and promote programming activities
• Inform library patrons of rules of conduct as necessary, and enforce those rules when appropriate
• May maintain circulation records and oversee the mailing of library materials to patrons in homebound or other programs
• Process damaged materials to ensure collections are maintained in a good condition
• Assist with library opening and closing procedures• Support reference desk in assisting patrons with questions
• May coordinate volunteers and assign duties, providing necessary training
• Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library(ies)
• Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records
• Other duties as assigned
An individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
• H.S. Diploma or GED required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Three years library experience preferred
• One year supervisory experience preferred
• Proficiency with library systems and databases
• Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
• Multilingual speaking is a plus
• A high degree of proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint is desired
• Excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to move from place to place within the location; lift, push/pull, hold/carry of items weighing up to (25) pounds and occasional up to (35) pounds such as files, books, stacks of paper, and other materials.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
LS&S is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.
Physical address where the job position is located.