Job: Vice President, Library Operations
Go back to All Jobs
- Vice President, Library Operations
- Number position available:
- TBD based on experience
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Library Systems & Services (LS&S) is seeking a Vice President, Library Operations working full time remote in the state of Florida. The VP Library Operations position is ideal for a dynamic and experienced library professional with a passion for exceptional library service. The VP Library Operations will be responsible for leading teams of library professionals across several libraries and library systems within a defined region. A successful candidate will have a demonstrated knowledge of sound public library management principles, best practices, trends, and current professional theories along with the ability to provide exceptional guidance and mentoring to library staff, particularly Library Directors. Candidate must be committed to creating thriving libraries and have an ability to inspire staff with creative new ideas for enhancing the library experience while growing the use of and support for library services among the public and strategic partners. Candidate must have the ability to exercise good judgment, manage relationships and communicate effectively and positively with various stakeholders.
This highly visible position requires a master-degreed librarian capable of working closely with LS&S clients, local officials, library boards, and community stakeholders to nurture and develop library responsiveness to local public needs and community priorities.
This is a remote position that requires frequent travel (50%+) to library locations, clients, and potential clients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Service Excellence, Leadership & Development:
- Train and mentor Library Directors in developing library management teams who deliver excellent patron experiences in each library system in assigned geographic area.
- Evaluate library environments and key operational indicators to identify problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement.
- Make data-driven decisions in order to formulate innovative, creative ideas to help breathe life into library environments.
- Provide direction and oversight for the planning and execution of local, regional and company initiatives to achieve both operational excellence and desired business results; follow up consistently to ensure accountability to plans.
- Define clear expectations for Library Directors in terms of behaviors, key performance indicators and both internal and patron engagement levels; measure performance at regular intervals.
- Provide regular, ongoing coaching and feedback to Library Directors, ensuring appropriate levels of support are available.
- Support Library Directors in managing staffing-related matters in partnership with Human Resources.
- Encourage Library Directors and staff use of tools, data, financial reporting and best practices to ensure effective library operations.
- Track library system performance, trends and issues.
- Implement a communication cadence that allows for the consistent operation of each facility at or above targeted performance and profitability as well as for the rapid identification and resolution of any operational issues.
- Work collaboratively with the Operations Administrative Team to ensure alignment of priorities and lead or assist with operational projects and initiatives.
Client Relationship Management
- Regularly meet with and maintain strong relations with clients to ensure contract expectations are being met, and opportunities and innovation are discussed.
- Monitor changes in key personnel for each client (e.g., city manager, council, staff), as well as changes in governing bodies.
- Regularly solicit client and other stakeholder feedback.
- Collaborate with Library Directors to manage strong partnerships with respective community organizations and within the industry.
- Lead, consult on or support client-based projects, such as library assessments, strategic planning, new facilities, renovations, etc.
- Identify and network with State Library key personnel and Library Association leaders in assigned geographic areas.
- Assist Sales and Marketing Teams as needed with subject matter expertise, content creation and presentations.
- Contribute to building LS&S brand awareness, thought leadership and innovation within the library industry.
- Maintain library association memberships and attend conferences.
- Manage with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values and mission of LS&S and help create thriving libraries in the heart of our communities.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIRED:
- MLS/MLIS required
- Previous public library managerial experience (5+ years) required
- Previous Public Library Director or equivalent level position (3+ years) preferred
- Experience analyzing and applying financial reports and library related data (usage, demographics, trends, etc.)
- Experience in a role that requires frequent interaction with customers, fulfilling the requests of customers and responsibility for addressing customer issues, questions and suggestions
- Demonstrated success in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- High level of reliability and dependability
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
- Occasionally lift, push/pull, hold/carry of items weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds such as files, books, and other materials.
LS&S is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status, genetics or any other category protected under applicable law.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only standards for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Remote - FL
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 211 East Dakin Avenue
- Institution Name :
- Remote - FL
- 211 East Dakin Avenue
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Chelsea Johnson
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply