Job: Librarian II- Youth Services Librarian
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian II- Youth Services Librarian
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Position REQUIRES a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Professional and supervisory library work, requiring experience and involves responsibility for administration and operation of the Youth Services Departments of the library system.
- Coordinates and evaluates services provided to the public by Youth Services.
- Oversees daily operations of Youth Services.
- Establishes goals and objectives for Youth Services in accordance with County Library system policy and based on community needs.
- In consultation with supervisor, selects, trains, supervises and evaluates staff and volunteers.
- Coordinates staff/volunteer schedules and staff payroll records.
- Provides front-line, telephone, and electronic reference service to all customers.
- Furnishes information on library activities, facilities, rules and services. Explains the use of print and electronic reference sources.
- Provides reader’s advisory assistance to the youth ages birth to 18, parents and teachers.
- Encourages development of staff through reading, in-service training, meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Selects materials for Juvenile and teen collections using allocated County funds and coordinates collection development and maintenance.
- Implements County library system policies and procedures and explains such to employees and customers. May participate in policy revision and formulation.
- Markets the collection and other library supported activities.
- Oversees plans, promotes and executes library classes, events and workshops for youth ages birth to 18.
- Schedules professional entertainers/special activities for library events using a budget allocated by The Friends of the Library.
- Purchases reading incentives and other program related items using a budget allocated by The Friends of the Library.
- Maintains both the Children’s and Teen calendars, pages and links on the Library Website.
- Furnishes the Friends of the Library webmaster with information about youth services activities.
- Publicizes classes, events, and workshops utilizing print and electronic sources.
- Maintains department statistics and compiles statistical reports.
- Reviews donated materials for possible addition to Juvenile and Teen collections.
- Responsible for the appearance, security, and reporting maintenance issues of assigned area.
- Acts as library liaison to public and private k-12 schools.
- Maintains communication with Child Care facilities and Voluntary prekindergarten classes to encourage library visits and, as staffing allows, provide outreach services.
- Provides quarterly article regarding Youth Services activities for Friends of the Library newsletter.
- Acts as a U.S. Department of State Passport Agent and processes passport applications in compliance with rules and regulations of the Federal Government.
- May attend workshops, webinars, seminars and conferences as required.
- Performs work of all lower level library classifications and related work as required.
These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. All employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of library service.
- Knowledge of current practices for youth services for literature and materials;
- Community information and recreation needs for library materials.
- Public library principles, organization, objectives, trends, materials, services, and practices.
- Role of computerized bibliographic databases and searching techniques, online public access catalogs, and integrated library systems.
- Research interviewing techniques, strategy, and tools; young adult literature and materials.
- Principles of selection, de-selection, and evaluation of library collections.
- Principles and practices of team building and principles and practices of participative management.
- Ability to develop and apply library procedures and policies and other professional knowledge to the practical problems of the job.
- Establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships.
- Analyze and respond to community interests and concerns regarding collections and services.
- Prioritize work and exercise independent, sound judgment particularly in stressful situations.
- Communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- When applicable plan, organize, and supervise the work of staff and volunteers; assign, train, and evaluate the work of staff and volunteers; exercise leadership.
- Understand budgeting procedures, accounting practices, and computerized financial systems; plan and create library curriculum and promotional materials.
- Use computer applications in a library setting.
- Foster an environment of cooperation and shared responsibility.
- Broad knowledge of U.S. Department of State rules, regulations and guidelines to act as a passport application acceptance agent.
SUPERVISES: Supervision of Library Assistant I and Library Assistant II employees as well as volunteers working in the Youth Services Departments; prepares annual evaluations; and other management duties as assigned.
- A Master's Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association required.
- Must have excellent computer and communication skills.
- 2 years professional library experience after the MLS including experience as a supervisor preferred.
- 2 years experience working with youth between the ages birth to 18 required.
- Strong customer service and public relations skills required.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Flagler County Public Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 2500 Palm Coast Pkwy. N.W.
- Palm Coast
- Institution Name :
- Flagler County Public Library
- 2500 Palm Coast Pkwy. N.W. 386-446-6763
- Palm Coast
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Michelle Brokaw
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Apply on our website: flaglercounty.org