Job: Librarian, Sr. - Head of Reference
Go back to All Jobs
- Librarian, Sr. - Head of Reference
- Number position available:
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Lee County Library System, a dynamic, forward-thinking organization, is offering enthusiastic and community-minded candidates who are committed to public library service the opportunity to become a part of the leadership team at the Cape Coral Public Library.
As Senior Librarian, Head of Reference you will work primarily with adults but will have daily interaction with and provide library services to children and teens as well. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who enthusiastically embraces public library service and demonstrates a positive attitude, good judgment, and a commitment to teamwork. This position is directly responsible for supervision of 5 full-time professional and paraprofessional reference staff. Supervisory responsibilities include training and coaching reference staff, evaluation of staff performance, and acting as supervisor in charge in the absence of the branch manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise staff and volunteers and coordinate workflow for effective service delivery.
- Use considerable independent judgment and initiative along with established policies and procedures to assure a competent staff and high-quality service to the public.
- Provide stellar customer service by assisting patrons of all ages using Library resources and services, including computers, electronic resources, reference and readers’ advisory.
- Demonstrate proficiency in readers’ advisory to adults.
- Oversee a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the Adult collection through selection, weeding, and displays.
- Participate in branch-specific and system-wide committees as assigned.
- Present tours and programs for school and community groups visiting the library.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons.
- May be in charge of the library for specific days or shifts.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures.
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Interact productively with staff from library administration, library processing, and other branches.
- Plan and present programs and activities for adults at the library and at outreach locations.
- Relate positively to a diverse population, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and assist the public directly as an active member of the public service team at the branch.
- Work effectively with the Library Friends group and other community groups.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association and two years of progressively responsible experience as a professional librarian.
- Prefer a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate library school program accredited by the American Library Association.
- Prefer four years related library experience.
- Prefer three years supervisory experience.
- Experience with planning and presenting programs to adults is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required.
- Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Exceptional communication skills is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience and the ability to work independently is preferred.
- Ability to deliver an exemplary customer experience is preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team is preferred.
- Ability to learn and adopt new and emerging technologies is preferred.
- Ability to analyze the needs of the community and to plan, develop and conduct appropriate programs for targeted groups is preferred.
- Ability to engage community partners in the promotion of library programs is preferred.
- Must have knowledge of current professional public library principles, methods, and practices, relevant computer applications, literature for various ages, and have the ability to supervise and direct the work of others.
- Ability to relate positively to a diverse population, including children, teens, and speakers of languages other than English.
- Ability to bend, stretch, sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment such as cash registers, computers, photocopiers, self-check machines, assistive devices and automation equipment.
- The County may require employees to make either a temporary, or long-term, permanent transfer to another library location to accommodate the organization's business needs.
- This position requires 80 Hours bi-weekly; hours and days will vary to include evenings, Saturdays and some Sundays.
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Cape Coral Public Library
- Job Location:
- Southwest Florida
- 921 SW 39th Terrace
- Cape Coral
- Institution Name :
- Lee County Library System
- 2345 Union Street
- Fort Myers
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Aric Christensen
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.