Under general supervision, performs duties related to the provision of technology and fiber arts training to customers and staff; provides assistance to customers as required.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Schedules and conducts technology and fiber arts training classes for customers including children, teens, and adults as well as staff.
- Provides prepared materials, as appropriate, to guide customers in the use of electronic resources; ensures that all materials and administrative needs are available for training programs.
- Promotes technology training classes; describes and explains training options and opportunities; assists customers to locate, access and use information provided through electronic resources; provides prepared materials, as appropriate, to guide customers; responds to basic reference and information inquiries from customers and staff by utilizing appropriate electronic or print sources.
- Maintains current awareness of and familiarity with new programs, electronic resources and computer equipment.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Monitors areas in assigned location and offers assistance to library customers.
- Assists customers with general use of computer resources, provide routine information as to the basic operation of public access computers, programs, online catalog, online databases, Internet and e-mail.
- Tracks, maintains and reports on any range of information or statistics as required. Document and refer significant issues to Manager.
- Ensures appropriate inventory of training and technology materials.
- Performs basic troubleshooting routines including resolution of printer problems, loose connections and rebooting systems as required; reports the need for more extensive maintenance or repair; ensures the availability of materials and supplies required in public access areas; assists customers with accessing information and with saving and printing files.
- Maintains accurate records and files related to work performed.
- Assists with curriculum development in collaboration with the Instruction Technology Specialists.
- Maintains work area and public computer areas in a clean and orderly condition. Ensures safe operating conditions within area of responsibility.
- Communicates knowledge of the Library’s collection, policies and procedures, programs, events and activities, use of reference materials and changes in the Library System.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Computer hardware, software and peripheral equipment.
- Record keeping principles and methods.
- Principles and practices of technology instruction for children, teens and adults.
- Library District, Branch, and Department policies and procedures.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Techniques for dealing with the public, in person and over the telephone.
- Performing troubleshooting and investigation of common technology issues.
- Understanding and applying expertise in technology hardware, software and peripheral systems.
- Conducting instruction on technology use in an individual and group setting.
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintaining accurate records and files.
- Organizing own work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
- Using tact, discretion and prudence in dealing with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Maintaining knowledge of developing tools and trends in applicable technological applications and equipment.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Supervision - Incumbents at this level are given assignments and objectives that are governed by specifically outlined work methods and a sequence of steps, which are explained in general terms. The responsibility for achieving the work objectives, however, rests with a superior. Immediate supervision is not consistent, but checks are integrated into work processes and/or reviews are frequent enough to ensure compliance with instructions.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in an office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit and stand for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 30 pounds; agility to bend, reach, stoop, and push; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a library setting.
I understand it is my responsibility to uphold the Library System’s mission and values in pursuit of all duties including:
- Adding to quality of life by creating a learning environment and experiences that foster personal growth and development.
- Promoting LEARNING to improve the lives of those in the Community.
- Empowering and fostering CREATIVITY and COLLABORATION.
- Delivering outstanding SERVICE to external and internal customers.
- Demonstrating RESPECT, INTEGRITY, and EXCELLENCE.
Physical address where the job position is located.