Job: Library Assistant
Go back to All Jobs
- Library Assistant
- Number position available:
- $15.00 - $16.12 hourly
- Job Category:
- Reference & Public Services
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Assist in the daily operation of the City library.
- Register new patrons in the library database, check materials in and out, shelve returned items, and help patrons locate items.
- Take requests for reserve items and notify patrons by phone or email when received materials are available.
- Accept and record monies for fines and photocopies. Make change as necessary. Assist patrons with using photocopier.
- Catalog new materials in the library database.
- Teach classes or workshops in fundamental computer skills, new digital media and ESOL (English as a Second Language). Prepare program schedules, marketing, lesson plans, monitor student progress, and create benchmarks for student success. Adjust teaching styles and strategies to meet users’ needs.
- Assist with children’s circulation and reference desk duties as needed, which may include answering questions, providing reader’s advisory services, helping patrons with computers, digital media and library databases.
- Work evenings and weekend hours, including off-site events and outreach activities. Perform additional duties as assigned. Be available for emergency call-outs.
- High school diploma or GED
- Six (6) months recent experience teaching or tutoring
- One (1) year recent experience with Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to converse proficiently in both Spanish and English
- Effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or Liberal Arts or equivalent combination of experience
- Recent experience (within the past three (3) years) working or volunteering in a public, school, or academic library.
- Knowledge of computer-assisted instructional programs and associated software and hardware.
- Completion of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certification, Department of Education English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Teaching certification or endorsement, and/or advanced degrees.
- Completion of the following NIMS Courses within the designated amount of time from hire date:
- Basic IS-700 (6 months)
- Basic ICS-100 (6 months)
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- City of Altamonte Springs Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 281 Maitland Avenue
- Altamonte Springs
- Institution Name :
- City of Altamonte Springs
- 225 Newburyport Avenue
- Altamonte Springs
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Erin Martin
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply
For more information and to apply online, visit the City of Altamonte Springs' website http://www.Altamonte.org/Jobs.