- Customer Service Representative I - Library Assistant - Elsie Quirk Library (Full Time)
- Number position available:
- $12.37 - $15.15
- Job Category:
- Position DOES NOT require a Master's degree from an ALA accredited program.
Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This position provides customer service through contact and responses to county customers and citizens. As the direct point of contact for customers, the Library Assistant resolves routine questions or problems and refers more complex issues. In the team environment all employees participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
Customer Service Skills and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates positive customer service skills: courteous, sensitive, tactful, with rapport & discretion.
- Communicates well with others. Is a good listener. Speaks clearly and distinctly.
- Works well as a team to effectively solve problems and resolve conflicts. Supports and respects diversity.
- Demonstrates good judgement and intuition. Demonstrates ability to handle all types of customers and/or situations.
- Is open, sincere, honest and responsible. Is inquisitive, creative and eager to continue learning.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry.
- Provides assistance at all library locations and stations including: Circulation, Information Reference, Youth and Young Adult services. Assists users in locating, selecting, and using resources.
- Assists library users in person, by phone, or electronically, answering questions, and /or redirecting questions to the appropriate person. Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users. Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users. Is aware of County and library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- Possesses technical knowledge of phone, computer and library-related equipment and the ability to assist users.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures, and plans of service including process improvements. Participates in planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library, and county events.
- Attends annual cash management training and is competent in all areas of business unit cash management.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed and other circulation duties including issuing and renewing library cards.
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fees, and Unique Management collections, including such duties as daily shift, drawer counts, and deposits as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required and reports on a timely basis.
- Assists in sorting and processing mail, as needed.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Sorts and shelves materials and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists in operation and basic troubleshooting of automated materials check-in, emptying and swapping materials bins, and routine maintenance.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the collection and services through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section. Seeks opportunities for continuing development of self and others.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Works with library staff to develop a team-oriented workplace.
Work Hours: MUST be Flexible to work between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work location (other than original assignment) within the library system to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in administrative or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings.
Job Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive, and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good listener who communicates well with others and demonstrates openness, sincerity and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources. Technical knowledge of phone and computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use standard computers, software and business equipment.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $12.37/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $15.15/hour, for candidates with library experience.
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Job open date:
- Application deadline:
- Open Until Filled
- Apply at:
- Library Type:
- Job Type:
Physical address where the job position is located.
- Job Place:
- Elsie Quirk Public Library
- Job Location:
- Central Florida
- 100 W Dearborn Street
- Institution Name :
- Sarasota County Government
- 1660 Ringling Boulevard, Suite 180, 1st Floor
- Address 2:
- Human Resources
Contact Information / How to apply
- Contact Name:
- Anne Fleming
- Contact Email:
- Contact Phone:
- Contact Fax:
- How to apply