- Use of an Integrated Library Computer System to provide needed assistance to customers.
- Provides superior customer service, on the phone and via email of a full service library
- Deals with customer complaints, particularly those who disrupt normal use or operation of the Library. Refers to supervisor as necessary.
- May perform other procedures related to lending/borrowing of library materials; checking in materials, processing holds, processing overdue and other notices, emptying materials return bins, maintaining inventories, processing damaged items upon return, etc.
- May assist in implementation of classes, workshops and events within a specialized area of the library.
- May assist in preparation of exhibits/displays of library materials to promote specific subjects and events.
- May prepare materials such as posters, calendars and fliers to promote library classes, events, resources and materials.
- Responds to public inquiries, including reference questions, in a courteous manner; provides information within scope of knowledge and refer to employee of higher classification as appropriate.
- May provide individual instruction in the use of all library services.
- Performs basic clerical tasks in the maintenance of files, records and statistics.
- Shelves library materials and maintain order and appearance of materials on the shelves to include repairing, shifting, straightening.
- Make suggestions for purchase of materials.
- Implements all library policies and procedures.
- Assists with closing procedures as assigned.
- Assists customers in use of other library related equipment including copier, printer and computers.
- Minor troubleshooting of all computer and library related equipment as needed.
- May perform portions of the work of higher or lower classified positions, as required.
- Performs related work as assigned.
These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. All employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Public library principles, organization, objectives, trends, materials, services, and practices.
- Knowledge of computerized bibliographic databases and searching techniques, online public access catalogs, and integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of current practices of a specialized area of library services to include Youth Services, Customer Service and Research/IT.
- Skilled at accurately and efficiently sorting and shelving materials in alphanumeric order.
- Develop and apply library procedures and policies and other professional knowledge to the practical problems of the job.
- Must be able to efficiently utilize and troubleshoot office equipment, such as; computers, typewriters, cash register, microfiche reader, fax copier, telephone and word processing software.
- Ability to communicate effectively by phone, in person or via email.
- Must possess ability to function independently, have flexibility and the ability to effectively work with patrons, co-workers and others.
- Ability to use library automation and online databases.
- Ability to work effectively with the public and staff in a variety of circumstances including stressful situations.
- Physical requirements include sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting and moving books/carts and files of approximately 40 lbs.
- The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Vision abilities require extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor.
- Requires good hand dexterity for operating a keyboard.
- Ability to hear, comprehend and respond to library patrons, co-workers and supervisors both orally and in writing.