Do you have a vision for promoting library services to underserved communities and expanding access to non-library users? If so, then Lee County Library System invites you to apply today for the Manager of Mobile Outreach position!
The Manager of Mobile Outreach will be critical in establishing, maintaining and expanding outreach services by utilizing multiple vehicles at offsite deposit collections, lobby stops, scheduled delivery routes, and special community events. Ideal candidates will be forward-thinking, enthusiastic, and community-minded with the organizational skills to manage County-wide mobile outreach operations.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter and skilled communicator who enthusiastically embraces public library service and demonstrates a positive attitude, flexibility, good judgment, and a commitment to teamwork. This position is responsible for directly supervising 2 full-time outreach associates and coordinating numerous additional staff across the library system performing duties in the mobile outreach department. The ideal candidate will have a vision for promoting library services to underserved communities and expanding access to non-library users.
The Lee County Library System has 13 branches including six regional libraries, two mid-sized libraries, and five community libraries as well as a Talking Books library. The library has over 1.5 million items available for patrons to use or check out, and circulates over 6 million items per year. Currently, more than 294,000 Lee County residents are registered users. The Mobile Outreach offices are currently located within the South County Regional Library in Estero, with plans to relocate to the new Library Administration headquarters in downtown Fort Myers next fall. The Manager of Mobile Outreach reports to the Manager of Programming and Community Outreach at Library Administration and they collaborate to ensure the library system is adapting to growth in the area and expanding services to underserved communities by focusing on mobile outreach, community engagement and outreach programming. The Lee County Library System’s strategic plan is dedicated to reach people where they are in the community and the Manager of Mobile Outreach is a critical piece in achieving those goals. Mobile Outreach services at Lee County Library System currently utilize two different outreach vans, with orders underway to acquire two additional specialty vehicles for outreach, including a specialty truck and a replacement for the previous climb-on bookmobile. This is a unique opportunity for a self-motivated and highly organized individual to make a positive impact on the lives of Lee County residents.
Southwest Florida’s Lee County is a growing, dynamic region, ideally situated along Interstate 75, just two hours from Tampa and Miami. Covering approximately 811 square miles, the county is home to over 750,000 residents. Fort Myers is the county seat of Lee County, which also includes the communities of Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, Sanibel, Estero, and Fort Myers Beach. More and more families and businesses are choosing Lee County to call home. From sparkling white sandy beaches and lush golf courses, to an exciting sports and outdoor recreation scene, Lee County’s nationally recognized public school system, low crime rates and exceptional quality of life make it a great place to live, work, and raise a family. For more information, go to https://www.visitfortmyers.com.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise staff and volunteers and coordinate workflow for effective service delivery.
- Provide stellar customer service by assisting patrons of all ages using Library resources and services, including computers, electronic resources, reference and readers’ advisory.
- Coordinate a variety of programming and activities to encourage positive use of the library by people of all ages.
- Plan and present programs and activities for all ages at outreach locations and special events.
- Develop and maintain communication and contacts with community partner organizations that serve the residents of Lee County.
- Oversee a regular schedule of collection maintenance and promotion of the outreach collections through selection, weeding, and displays.
- Participate in department specific and system-wide committees as assigned.
- Present programs for school and community groups outside of the library.
- Provide technology training to staff and patrons.
- Explain and administer library policies and procedures.
- Actively seek and participate in professional development opportunities and stay abreast of emerging technology and trends.
- Communicate and work effectively and tactfully with co-workers, sharing information and working cohesively as a team.
- Interact productively with staff from library administration, library processing, and other branches.
- Relate positively to a diverse population, communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and assist the public directly as an active member of the public service team at the library system.
- Work effectively with Library staff, other Lee County agencies and community groups.
- Identify and work to resolve issues related to vehicle maintenance and technology.
- Use considerable independent judgment and problem-solving skills along with established policies and procedures to ensure a competent staff and consistent, high-quality service to the public.
Physical address where the job position is located.
Lee County is an equal opportunity and at-will employer, Veteran's Preference may apply. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/leecounty or in person at Lee County Human Resources, 1825 Hendry Street, 2nd Floor, Fort Myers, FL 33902. You may mail your application to Human Resources at PO Box 398, Ft. Myers, FL 33902. Your application must be received in Human Resources BEFORE the posting closes. If Human Resources does not receive your application BEFORE the posting closes, we will NOT be able to consider you for the position and your application will NOT be processed.