Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
As a reference Librarian for Sarasota County, you get to be a big influence on our patrons of the Libraries. We are looking for someone creative that can plan programs and help manage our Creation Station, which includes our 3D printers, laser engraver and circuit machines. You will be hosting authors and book clubs for our community and have the opportunity to join system wide programming and planning committees. If you looking for a wonderful place to live and work - Apply today with Sarasota County.
Professional duties covering the full scope of library services to all library users within a teamwork environment. Special emphasis on conducting sessions/classes for various electronic devices to a variety of library users.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Provides informational services for the community.
- Presents individual and group training programs for public and staff in the use of the library, its technology and equipment, and its resources.
- General reference service in assisting customers by locating answers to questions, including Interlibrary Loan services and referral to agencies outside the library.
- Provides general service assistance including the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists with collection development by recommending materials.
- Participates in collection maintenance, including, shelving, shifting, and weeding.
- May perform item coordinator duties.
- Promotes the understanding and use of the library and its resources.
- Prepares reviews, press releases, bibliographies, and other promotional displays.
- Creates displays and offers outreach services.
- Plans and directs adult programming.
- Analyzes and identifies service population needs and develops plans to meet those needs.
- Networks with other agencies to provide and obtain materials and services.
- Represents the library and library interests within the community.
- Participates in presentation and development of technology training and information literacy programs for staff and patrons.
- Participates in ad-hoc/one-on-one training of customers in use of library technology.
- Compile, report, and interpret statistics.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of system-wide reference services and programs.
- Identify and develop plans to meet agency staffing, equipment and resource needs.
- Perform routine equipment cleaning/maintenance.
- May order supplies, prepare work schedules, receive and check-in periodicals and newspapers.
- May perform some cash management functions.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Participates in training and supervision of new staff and volunteers. Encourages staff and volunteers to use their individual talents creatively to address tasks.
- Attends agency, system-wide, local, regional, state, and national meetings and workshops to enhance professional skills.
- Participates in the development of goals, objectives, for agency plan and performance evaluations.
Schedule will be 40 hours/week, with a schedule made up of the operating hours below:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., with one evening shift of 11:45 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9:45 a.m. – 6:15 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 8:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
- 3rd Saturday of every month: 8:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. (with 1 weekday shift off)
- Currently closed on Sundays, although in the future you will be asked to join a rotation of Sundays where you may work one Sunday every 7 to 8 weeks depending upon the pool of employees at either the Selby Public Library or the Jacaranda Library.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association OR a Bachelor's Degree AND enrolled in an MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain an MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Job Competencies: Experience in a reference related position in a public library preferred. Above average customer service skills, ability to multitask, ability to adapt to various and changing duties as required. Skill in operating library technologies of all sorts. Skill in using various electronic devices, including, but not limited to Kindle, Nook, tablets, and iPads and imparting this knowledge to customers of all ages. Ability to train/coach patrons in the use of technology.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $42,452.80 - $58,073.60
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.