The Assistant Librarian assists the Senior Director of the LLRC with the daily tasks of the MRU Library and Learning Resource Center. The Assistant Librarian aids students in obtaining online journals, periodicals, databases, and other resources to locate materials or information. The Assistant Librarian helps students with APA formatting. Compiling records and collaborating with sorting and shelving books are also functions for this position.
• Enforces, maintains, and explains MRU & LLRC policies and procedures to users.
• Assists with daily tasks of the Library and Learning Resource Center, such as checking out library materials, receiving returns, assisting students in locating books, reserving study rooms, etc.
• Assist students and faculty in finding and using library resources (library catalog, databases, APA Writing Tips/Tools, etc.)
• Answer routine reference inquiries, and refer students/guests needing further assistance accordingly
• Returns or oversees students' returns, books, and materials
• Locates books or other reference materials to assist students; refers requests requiring professional assistance to reference librarian.
• Explains to students: computer systems, other reference sources, and how to use such methods
• Completes routine descriptive cataloging
• Examines books for damage
• Promote the LLRC to users
• Assists in preparing exhibits and seasonal displays throughout the library
• Serves as a backup for the Senior Director of the LLRC
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software
• Working knowledge of office equipment
• Ability to remain professional and courteous while interacting with students & guests to the LLRC
• Ability to work with diverse constituencies
• Ability to lead groups; ability to act independently, take the initiative, and promote innovation
• Ability to deliver timely, accurate, and precise information in a fast-paced environment
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
• Must be able to lift to 15 pounds at times
• Must climb ladders or stepstools, push and pull book carts, and lift and carry books
Benefits include :
Equal Opportunity Employer
Miami Regional University does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, genetic information, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Education and Experience:
• Master's degree in Library and Information Science
• Minimum two years of relevant library experience or training
Physical address where the job position is located.
For full consideration, please submit a letter of interest and a CV as soon as possible. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send your cover letter and CV to Mitsy Sousa, Vice President of Human Resources & Public Relations at msousa@mru. edu or fax 305.455.6703