Libraries & Historical Resources
About Our Job
This is independent administrative and team leader work creating and fostering an environment that provides high quality, exceptional level of customer service. The employee in this position will ensure that other team members participate in setting the unit, library and system goals and contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress, through training, practice and evaluation. Employees will collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Assists customers regarding library services, resources, and programs for the assigned unit as well as the library system.
- Assists users in use of library equipment and technology.
- Provides directional and reference services to assist customers.
- Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users.
- Engages in conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries; applies knowledge to improve services.
- Planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library, and county events.
- Promotes library resources to community groups through public speaking, programming, and displays.
- Presents individual and group training programs for public and staff in the use of the library, its technology, equipment and resources.
- Participates in system-wide, agency and county teams and projects.
- Gathers statistical information as required.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- May order supplies, receive and check-in periodicals and newspapers.
- Provides administrative support to the Library Manager.
Collection Development Maintenance
- Sorts and shelves materials and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists with ordering and processing materials for circulation as needed.
- May perform item coordinator duties for materials in collection as needed.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the materials collection through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
- Works with library staff to develop a team-oriented workplace.
Work Hours: MUST be flexible to work between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work location (other than original assignment) within the library system to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent education and experience in public contact customer service work and proficiency in computer related to public response. Note: One year of college may substitute for one year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings. Programming experience for children, teens, and/or adults. Spanish language skills.
Job Competencies: Demonstrated ability to handle difficult customers/situations. Addresses conflict resolution, sets priorities, and builds morale and group commitment to goals and objectives. Adapts easily and is flexible. Demonstrates good written and verbal communication skills. Intermediate to advanced computer skills and ability to use standard business equipment. Demonstrates good written and verbal communication skills. Familiarity with operation of standard office equipment, Windows applications, ILS systems, desktop publishing software, etc. Supports and respects diversity. Ability to exercise sound independent judgment and handle a variety of customer service issues tactfully.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: Starting pay is $15.00/hour. Pay is negotiable, up to $17.59/hour, for candidates with library experience.
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.
Physical address where the job position is located.