The University of Central Florida (UCF) Libraries, located in Orlando, seeks an experienced and innovative department head of Acquisitions and Collection Services to provide vision and leadership for the department. This position plays a leading role in the life-cycle management of the Libraries’ collections in all formats, directing and advancing a diverse portfolio of related services encompassing purchasing, licensing, facilitating access to licensed content, and managing the annual materials expenditures of approximately $7 million. The Head is expected to be a team player who advances ongoing working relationships with other library departments and campus units in charge of procurement. Active participation in professional services and productivity in scholarly work are expected.
This position reports to the associate dean for Collections Services and Resource Management (CSRM) division and manages three full-time faculty librarians, eight full-time staff, plus student workers. The department in three units acquires print materials for all branches and locations of the UCF Libraries, manages the licensing, purchasing and access management for electronic resources, processes gift collections, coordinates collection assessment and analyses for academic programs, and collaborates on collection maintenance projects. This department plays a pivotal role in enhancing user experience by managing the Primo VE discovery system. Librarians and staff work collaboratively with other departments on library-wide projects as well as day-to-day activities.
Partnerships with other libraries are integral to acquisition and collection management strategies for University Libraries. The Head will operate in an environment of active consortia engagement through the Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC), State University System of Florida, Center for Research Libraries (CRL), HathiTrust, Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL), and other cooperative programs.
· Manages all acquisitions, collection development, and electronic resource access activities.
· Develops and updates policies and procedures for acquisitions collection development and collection assessment.
· Ensures department adheres to all guidelines in procurement process and use of funds according to accounting and auditing requirements as specified by the university.
· Maintains sound fiscal practices and analytical tools, providing detailed analysis and reporting.
· Works closely with the Academic Affairs Business Center to ensure efficient and appropriate ordering, payments, contract management, and fund and budget accounting.
· Manages relationships, negotiations, and contracts with vendors for all models of acquisitions and subscriptions.
· Contributes to the division’s strategic plan especially related to acquisitions and e-resource licensing.
· Supervises and coordinates the subject librarians who serve as liaisons to all academic departments on their collection development and collection analyses duties.
· Effectively allocates and expends the collections budget for the acquisition of library resources in all formats.
· Fosters user focused, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
· Other responsibilities as assigned.
· Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution.
· At least five years post-MLS experience.
· Experience with an integrated library system.
· Supervisory experience.
· Experience with managing budgets.
· Demonstrated involvement in implementing an initiative or leading a project.
· Established record of productive relationships with publishers and vendors.
· Proven ability to develop and implement policies and procedures.
· Updated knowledge of current trends related to library acquisitions.
· Experience with Alma Primo VE.
· Participation with consortia purchasing.
· Keen understanding of cataloging and metadata practices.
· Evidence of professional service, and a record of presentation and publications.
Environment: With more than 70,000 students, UCF is the largest university by enrollment in Florida and one of the largest universities in the nation, offering 201 bachelor’s and master’s, and 34 doctoral programs. The UCF Libraries houses a collection of 2.2 million volumes and 52,000 serials and is a partial depository for government documents and patents. Full-time staffing of 105 includes 46 faculty librarians. For more information about the UCF Libraries see http://library.ucf.edu
Salary and Rank: This is a twelve-month, non-tenure track faculty position with insurance and retirement benefits, 22 paid annual days, 13 sick days, 9 holidays, and no state income tax. Salary and rank will be determined commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To Apply: UCF requires that all applications and supporting documents be submitted electronically through the Human Resources website: https://jobs.ucf.edu/en-us/job/502192. Please complete the online application for job number 502192 by the close date of June 16, 2022. In addition to the online application, interested candidates should upload a cover letter that outlines skills and experience that directly relate to the position, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references.
NOTE: Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents at a later date.
Questions regarding this search may be directed to the search chair, Kristine Shrauger, Kristine.email@example.com
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
Physical address where the job position is located.
UCF requires that all applications and supporting documents be submitted electronically through the Human Resources website: https://jobs.ucf.edu/en-us/job/502192. Please complete the online application for job number 502192 by the close date of June 16, 2022. In addition to the online application, interested candidates should upload a cover letter that outlines skills and experience that directly relate to the position, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references.