Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Executive Board of Directors
Hours: 1.0 Full Time Equivalent (40 hours/week)
Compensation: Hiring Range- $65,000-$75,000 (Depending on qualifications)
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Travel: Some travel required
Staff and Program Management
The Executive Director of the Florida Library Association (FLA) is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the Association and implementing the policies and programs of the organization as established by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is an employee of the Association Executive Board and is supervised by the FLA Board President. FLA is a chapter of the American Library Association.Staff and Program Management
● Lead and support the Association membership in the development and implementation of policies furthering the mission, goals, and objectives of FLA.
● Support a diverse and inclusive working environment for staff and Association members. Promote these values through training initiatives, programs, and events across the broader library community.
● Serve as spokesperson for the Association in coordination with the President and Board.
● Work with the Board and leaders to identify, create, and implement strategic plans that represent the interests of the Association leadership and members.
● Provide one-to-one coaching, serve as a resource to answer questions,
and provide continuity for Association leadership.
● Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of Association and FLA office activities, programs, services, and methods. Report to the Board and membership.
● Serve as an ex officio, non-voting member on all committees. Coordinate the work of FLA committees and ensure committee goals are aligned with the strategic plan. Aid committees as needed or requested.
● Form strong partnerships with other library-related organizations in Florida, with the American Library Association, and with organizations interested in libraries, literacy, and freedom of access to information.
● Maintain effective internal and external communications to assure an informed membership, attract potential members, engage the media, and inform the Florida legislature, other associations, and industry groups about FLA.
● Recruit, hire, and train competent, qualified Association employees and contractors.
● Attend library-related functions across the state as funds allow.
● Oversee and provide leadership to staff and contracted meeting planner on Annual Conference activities.
● Assure that all communications are timely and fit within FLA’s mission.
● Work with the Advocacy and Legislative Committee to supervise the efforts of the Association lobbyist and complete the annual evaluation of lobbying services.
● Assist in the preparation and execution of Legislative Day activities in-person and virtually.
Financial Management and Sustainability
● Manage financial reports for the Treasurer and the Board, and provide additional financial documentation as needed. With the Treasurer, prepare the annual budget and the annual financial report for the Annual Business Meeting.
● Work directly with accountant and bookkeeper to maintain accurate financial entries and pertinent payroll activities.
● Ensure all accounts receivable and accounts payable are handled in an effective and timely manner.
● Ensure that expenditures are within the budgeted amounts.
● Authorize and approve purchase orders, vouchers, and payments within parameters set by the Board of Directors and stated within organizational policies and procedures.
● Sign checks on behalf of the Association within parameters of policy.
● Ensure all state and federal registrations required by 501c3 organizations are current.
● Administer contracts and other agreements as approved by the Board.
● Serve as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Association Executive Board, prepare Board meeting materials, assure that meeting logistics are arranged and announced, and assist the President in developing Board meeting agendas.
● Present formal orientation programs for new Board members, committee chairs, and member group leaders each year. Assist the Board and committee leadership in identifying candidates to run for office and to serve on committees. Participate in cultivating new Association leaders.
● Maintain the FLA Policy Manual and interpret and administer policies. Work effectively with the Executive Board to develop, implement, revise, and evaluate policies.
● Provide the Executive Board with a quarterly update of progress towards the goals and objectives of the strategic plan.
● With the Secretary, assure accuracy of Executive Board minutes and other documents to be maintained in the FLA archive. Assure all FLA accounts, registrations, licenses, and other required paperwork is kept up to date.
● Increase membership through an organized plan of recruitment and retention activities.
● Manage staff in the maintenance of an accurate, up to date membership database and provide monthly membership reports to the Executive Board.
Minimum Required Skills and Experience
● Association and/or non-profit management experience
● Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
● Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong service orientation
● Strong financial management skills including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting
● Demonstrated skills and ability to work with community, funders, partner organizations, staff, and city/state government
● Demonstrated communication skills, including strong writing and presentation skills with English language proficiency
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and social media platforms
● Bachelor’s degree or higher
● Ability to travel as needed
● Currently possess, or acquire within one month, a Florida driver’s license
● Ability to pass a background check
● A positive and proactive attitude, with ability to adapt to a dynamic work environment
● Experience with creating or supporting initiatives to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and access amongst members and stakeholders
● Experience with libraries, library associations or similar associations
● Experience with association management software
Physical address where the job position is located.